Seventeen

There it was. That shimmer in his eyes.

It was rare to see anything other than indifference or anger on Thor's rough face. But right at that moment your words had hit a sore spot in his faith.

There was something in the blue of his eyes.

Disbelief.

Thor had always been the least loyal son to his father. He had always weighed his actions in good and bad and if he had been given a good reason then he had tolerated it.

But deep inside he carried something that the All-Father despised with every fibre of his being.

Doubt about him.

The God of Thunder saw the All-Father not as an infallible god but as a man who had to have reasons. When Odin made a wrong decision, Thor moved a step away from him. Conversely, if he did something good, his son came towards him.

In the end it didn't matter, he would never be able to completely get away from him even if he wanted to.

The blood in his veins would always belong to Odin. And yet you enjoy the sight. These doubts about Odin that came from his own son.

"How amusing...", you whispered and approached him, your gaze fixed on his face. "Look at you, Thundergod. You had no idea."

"How can you talk as of your truth is absolute?", he bared his teeth but was unable to form real anger.

You shook your head.

"You know why. Look at you. I can see it in your eyes. You know that Odin betrayed Tyr. You know he was responsible for his disappearance."

"I...", he stopped himself. "I suspected Allfather was capable of it. But I wouldn't have dared to think about it."

"What do you think did he do to him?"

His eyes flinched.

For a moment there was nothing but blankness on his face. But in his eyes war raged. The most brutal of crimes crossed his mind.

If there was one being in all of the nine realms that knew the extend of Odin's cruelty it was Thor. He knew what his father was capable of, not because he needed to be but because he wanted to.

"Huh.", you huffed after a moment of silence and turned away to return to your path. "For a long time I had expected you were in on it. But the way you react tells me that he has told you some other story."

Frozen in disbelief, Thor let his eyes follow you. His breath was so heavy that it seemed to echo in the emptiness that surrounded Yggdrasil.

"He said Try turned against us.", he called after you. "It sounded so convincing. Everything."

You shrugged.

"The Allfather is a charming bastard.", you replied dryly. "What makes you believe in my words anyways? I could just lie to you for my own purpose."

The sound of electricity crackled across the floor.

Goosebumps chased over your arms.

All of a sudden his shadow fell over you.

You stopped, holding your breath.

Thor wasn't a threat by no means. And yet you knew it was unwise to be ignorant in his presence.

"I trust you.", his deep voice tickled the back of your head. "You wouldn't lie to me."

A sound of mockery escaped you.

"What makes you be so sure of that?", your eyes there a glance over your shoulder to meet his gaze.

For a moment he just regarded you in silence.

The expression in his eyes was different. The blue seemed darker. As if he could see Ragnarok itself in the future.

Frowning, you tilted your head. His behaviour puzzled you.

All at once he moved again. Without a word he bent down to you, his shadow swallowing your convalescent body.

For some reason you were a little afraid of him.

"You never lied to me. You were always fair.", he said, suddenly smiling. "Even after I betrayed you, you were never hateful enough to really do me wrong."

"I insulted you and spat on your name.", you replied in defiance.

"Everything you ever said I deserved. It was the consequences of my own choices."

You laughed.

"A ridiculous reason!", you said, crossing your arms defiantly in front of your chest.

With a hum he leaned back again and shrugged his shoulders.

"You are a good spirit.", he only said and walked past you. "I trust you. I always could. For better or for worse. Only rarely I can put my trust in Allfather. Even in good times."

Without another word he walked ahead, even though he didn't know where the journey would lead. He just didn't want to be behind you and be confronted with the sight of your (H/C) hair.

All the words about you were nothing but the truth from his mouth. He still trusted you blindly even after all these years. And even though you had more than one reason to stab him in the back, he knew it would never happen. Too much time had passed for that.

If you really held a grudge against him big enough to hang curses on his name, it would have happened a long time ago.

Yes, he had betrayed you.

And yes, he had been a nightmare. Possibly the worst that could exist.

But you had never punished him for it. He had done that himself. If it had been up to you, he would have had to suffer more, at least as much as you did then. Maybe he did and it just wasn't visible to the naked eye.

You pulled a bitter face, squeezed your eyes shut and tried to massage the headache back into your skull.

"Fucking shit!", you growled, staring at the tattoos adorning his back.

Why were you thinking so much about him and his feelings lately?

Why did you suddenly remember the old times with him so often?

Only a few years ago you almost threw up when you thought about him.

But now it was different. Being with him again felt almost familiar. Like something you had missed.

"No.", you shook off the thought. "No way... never again. Ever."