Twenty-Nine

Wrapped in silence you lay in bed, staring at the beams of the ceiling.

Thoughts flooded your head like water the ocean. There wasn't a single but if room for something else but worry and bitterness.

Memories kept you awake.

What if's made your stomach turn.

Regret tied your throat.

And at the same time your heart beat faster as his face crossed your inner eye, covered in tears, sobbing.

Somehow this sight had not given you the satisfaction you had craved to get all these years. It had hurt you, perhaps more than his actual betrayal.

Never before had you seen Thor this way. You had seen him cry but mostly out of joy. Only once had he broken down with sorrow, after his mother had banned him from Jötunheim to protect her kind.

Only Tyr had been allowed entry.

And what had it gotten him into?

Disappearance without a trace. Death, most likely, but you refused to accept this possibility until one bitter day someone would show you his body.

Until then he was alive. Gone but breathing.

Squeezing your eyes shut to wipe your face with both hands, you let out a loud groan and turned in bed. This was some for of torture you only put on yourself to find an answer to the mess that fate had put you in.

How much you would have given to be able to consult Tyr one last time. Even though you had never seen him be interested in any forms of relationship outside family and friends, you believed be would have given good advice.

Perhaps you just weren't made to succeed. Maybe fate had created you to go down a road of endless suffering.

Sighing, you let your arms fall to your sides and stared at the ceiling again.

The soft silver moon shine kissed your (S/C) face. It felt soft yet also cold.

Somehow, the shimmer of thousands of stars made you feel lonely. For the very first time in your life you looked at the sky and felt no comfort in its shimmer.

It made you feel small, unimportant. Usually it calmed you to know that you were just one of many, many stars in this world, not more important or different from the others. It made you feel like being part of a whole.

But now that Tyr's prophecy was encrypted, you felt like the most misfitting of misfits there was in all of the nine realms.

You would be the one to call for Ragnarok. The Allfather would die because of your effort.

Sure, yoh wouldn't be the one to actually kill him, the child of you and Thor was destined to do that, but you would pave the way till the very end.

Who would cry for a traitor if you'd fail along the way?

The answer was plain and simple. No one.

And yet.

Not only did you feel the need to take this risk, there was this desire inside of you that kept pushing. You wanted to feel the satisfaction of killing Odin. Because in the end he was the root of all evil and misery.

His death would bring you far more joy that Thor's tears could ever have.

Taking a deep breath in, you reached out for the beams under the ceiling and squeezed your fist shut until the knuckles started to feel sore.

"Soon...", it slipped from your lips in a whisper. "I'll make you fall to your knees and bow to me. And then... I want to hear you scream. Beg for mercy. Die."

Goosebumps crawled down your spine as you imagined how Odin, king of the gods, would sound while a blade pierced his flesh, tore every inch of his existence apart and covered the soil below his feet with his own blood.

The thought made you huff.

All of a sudden the silence was disturbed.

Your eyes jumped to the door.

It was hard to tell in the darkness, and maybe you were just hallucinating, but you believed to hear footsteps. They were barely louder than the sound of a feather dropping. But they were there.

Sucking in a sharp breath, you slid further under the covers, as if a thin layer of fabric and fur would be able to safe you from a nightly assassination and listened.

Your gaze was glued to the small gap below the door.

A shadow crawled across the wooden floor. It was large, almost round.

The air started to tingle.

The scent of rain filled the air.

A sigh escaped your lips. Your shoulders relaxed and you let your head fall back down on the pillow.

The steps stopped right in front of your door.

You expected a knock but it was just silence that greeted you.

"Come in.", you said in a soft voice. "The door is open."

No response.

Wiping the sleep from your face you let out a soft sigh and wanted to slip out of bed to greet your nightly visitor.

But he decided to make up his mind and pushed the door open.

In the dark, Thor's rusty, vibrant hair looked like a washed out shade of the bark of oak trees. It made his empty eyes look harder, deeper than they did in broad daylight.

Greeting him with a gentle smile, you sat up in bed.

"What brings you here, pumpkin?", you asked and rubbed the back of your neck to suppress a yawn.

His eyes wandered through the room for a moment before he decided to enter without a word.

The door fell shut behind him.

Thor usually preferred to wear casual garments to bed, nothing around his torso and simple cotton pants. But that night he was fully dressed, jewellery included.

Even Mjölnir hung on his side.

You frowned at the sight.

"What battle do you intent to fight?", you asked with a huff.

"I need your help.", it wasn't a question, not even a request.

He simply wanted you to know that there was no other in all of the nine realms that he would have asked. He came to you because he trusted you with all his body, mind and soul.

For a moment you examined him in silence. Then you sighed, got out of bed and grabbed whatever was closest.

"Where to?", you asked.

"The boy."