Safe at Last

The heat of the warm fire and the smell of cinnamon reached Caroline as she began to wake up. Groaning she lifted her arm to rub her tired eyes, her hand feeling like it weighed as much as she did.

"Mommy! She's awake, she's awake!" The frantic yell of a child reached Caroline's ears and she opened her eyes. Turning her head she observed the room, which was small and warmly lit. The fire crackled beside her and Caroline guessed she was laying on a couch covered in blankets.

Caroline noticed someone walking into the room. She was a fair lady with jeans and a short-sleeved shirt. She was followed by a boy who looked to be around the age of seven. He hid nervously behind his mother but had an air of excitement around him.

"Hello dear," The woman said in a kind voice. Caroline attempted to sit up, finding her joints stiff. The woman quickly came over and helped her into a sitting position with the blankets still covering her.

"My name is Martha. This is my son James," the woman sat down in a chair across from the couch as she talked. "My husband found you in the creek not far from here. He said he heard you calling for help."

"I was swept down the river," Caroline explained in a horse voice. "My name is," Caroline hesitated. She had never trusted anyone since she had run away. She decided that Martha was trustworthy. After all, she had taken care of her and, by the feeling of her leg, had addressed her wound as well.

"My name is Caroline," Caroline finally said. "Um, thanks for helping me." Beginning to feel warm Caroline pushed the blankets off her lap and onto the couch. In the process, she found that she was wearing different clothes.

"Oh don't worry," Martha said quickly, noticing Caroline's unease. "I am washing your clothes for you, but I don't know if you want to keep the ripped pants. I would be willing to give you some of my old clothes. They fit you better than they fit me."

"Are you sure?" Caroline asked. She wasn't used to people's kindness and felt guilty for needing help. If she had been smart she would still have the vehicle and be searching for Jennefer.

"Of course," Martha said kindly. "I am more than willing to help you out dear. You seem to have had quite the adventure. I can get you anything you may need."

"Well, I would like some water," Caroline said quietly. Martha nodded to the son and he jumped up from his position on the floor and ran to get a glass of water. "Thanks for taking care of my wound."

"Oh, it was nothing," Martha waved it off. "It shouldn't give you much trouble. Now that it's all cleaned up it should heal nicely. The bite wasn't deep. If you don't mind me asking, what animal was it?"

"A dog," Caroline slowly grabbed a blanket off the pile and put it back onto herself. Martha smiled at the action. "So, where am I exactly?"

"Well, we don't really live in any particular place," Martha explained. "We are far away from the village, which is about a two-day journey but we do alright. We have our own animals we take care of. It's nice and peaceful in the woods if you know how to survive."

Caroline nodded her head and suddenly felt something out of place. She put her hand to her ear to feel for the non-existent communicator the ninja had given her. "Oh, I know what you're looking for," Martha nodded her head in understanding. "I'll go grab it." James came back with the water at that same moment, carefully walking the full cup over to Caroline.

"Thanks," Caroline said to the boy. He nodded his head enthusiastically and ran back towards his retreating mother. Caroline drank the water thankfully, relishing its clean taste. James came rushing back into the room, sitting down in front of the empty chair.

"My name's James," James said. "I'm 8 years old." He proudly held up eight fingers, smiling from ear to ear.

"It's nice to meet you, James," Caroline smiled. Martha walked back into the room, Caroline's earpiece in her hand. She handed it to Caroline, who looked at it with worried eyes. It looked beat up and Caroline guessed the water had broken it.

"I don't know if it works, we haven't tried it," Martha sat back down in the chair. Caroline carefully fitted it in her ear and fiddled around with it. It crackled in her ear, making an unpleasant sound.

"Can anyone hear me?" Caroline asked. "Hello?" The earpiece cracked louder and Caroline quickly pulled it out of her ear and rubbed her ear with her free hand. "It's definitely broken."

"Who were you trying to contact?" Martha asked. Martha was playing with Jame's hair, the boy eyed the communication device curiously.

"Just a few friends," Caroline mumbled. She stuck the broken communicator in her pocket, not wanting to part with it out of guilt. "The first friends I've had excluding my family."

"You've had some trials, I can see it," Martha says softly. Caroline nodes. "You can stay here as long as you would like."

"I can't stay here, I'll put you in danger," Caroline begins to argue. She looks at James, not wanting to know what would happen to him if those men found her here. "I'll need to leave soon."

"Don't worry," Martha replies. "You are safe here."