Wrong Move

Caroline and Jennefer set up camp and left the area just as fast. They didn't want to alert anyone they were here. Jennefer looked at the forest around them as if it was a new city they were exploring. Caroline felt trapped as they walked further in.

Jennefer's plan was to find their old cabin home and try to find any clues there. They didn't know how their father was connected to the forest so that seemed like the only place to start.

"Jennefer, are you sure this is the right thing to do?" Caroline asked. Caroline had no idea where they were going, but Jennefer pushed on in confidence. "Why do you seem so excited and happy about this?"

"Honestly, I'm not sure," Jennefer admitted. "I mean, I love Dad and I lived in this forest longer than you did. I had good memories here, and I long to see him again."

"I have good memories too," Caroline admitted. "But for you it's different. Dad would never hurt you, or force you to do anything against your will. He wants to force me to be the hero, knock the ninja off their throne. You never had to be put through the training and exercises he put me through. I taught you everything he taught me, but I did it with love. He taught me with grief and selfishness."

"He wanted you to become mom," Jennefer almost whispered. Caroline knew she was beginning to understand. "I'm sorry, I never really thought about it that way before. If you don't want to do this,"

"No, we need to do this," Caroline stopped as her sister did. "I realize now that running isn't the best option anymore. We need to deal with this once and for all. You said it yourself, you want to see him again, and deep down, I wish we could live together again."

"And maybe we can," Jennefer put her hand on Caroline's shoulder. "Let's keep moving."

Spring was on its way as the snow slowly melted off the bear trees. As the sun lowered in the sky Caroline used her powers to fly Jennefer above the trees to survey the area. She spotted an open spot where they could camp and met Caroline back on the ground.

"Oh, I recognize this place," Caroline said an hour later as they reached the clearing Jennefer spotted. Caroline made her way to the fallen log in the center, smiling at the memory. "Kai burned the area down and I used my powers to save the rest of the forest. It was the largest barrier I created while under the Oni's curse."

"Well, I don't feel as safe camping out in the open," Jennefer said as she hopped onto the slick log. She almost lost her balance before finding her footing, making them both laugh. "I thought this would be a good place to camp. Let's head over to that area over there. It's more sheltered."

An hour later they had camp set up and Caroine was warming up by the fire. Jennefer came out of the tent to watch the fire and together they watched the flames flicker.

"You know, the pine forest seems like a better place to live," Jennefer commented, looking up at the trees. "When you live in a forest like this all the leaves fall off the trees and there is no cover."

"James definitely has a better forest than we did," Caroline agreed.

<><><><><><><>

Walking through the forest became boring and tiring after a while. Even after finding the place Caroline had camped with the ninja had bitter feelings about it. Finding the camp did help Caroline find the path that led them to their old home.

The moment Caroline spotted the house in between the trees she paused. She had mixed feelings about this place. It's where her family was built, and where it was torn apart. It was where she regained her memory, but also the reason she lost it.