Chapter 18

Staring back to the computer screen, I eavesdrop on the conversation Jack is having with one of his head editors. From my stance, it seems pretty heated. Although I have no idea what it's even over. My guess is a grammar fight which Jack always seems to have. Which is so nerdy that I feel right at home.

"Ana, will you please come here?"

I tuck the pencil behind my ear, walking into Jack's office. He closes the door behind us. The woman he was fighting with is sitting in the corner of the room, arms crossed. She looks seriously ticked off. At the both of us it seems. I smile at her but she ignores me, inspecting her nails instead of looking at me. Jack goes behind his desk, playing with the picture frame on his desk. I sit down across from him, watching him nervously.

"There's a book conference in Chicago next weekend. Will you be able to take Beth's place?" he glances over at the woman.

His offer is huge, especially to be offered to me. I'm just a coffee running intern. "Are you serious?"

"Of course he's serious," the woman spits out, slamming the door in her wake.

I stare dumbfounded back at Jack. This is an opportunity of a lifetime as an intern in the publishing industry. This is what dreams are made of. I nod my head, "I'll go."

Thankfully Christian's family's banquet is this week and not next. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to go. I have dreamed of going to abook conference. It's been my nerdy dream since I can remember. Well, since I started breathing books in the sixth grade. Since then, it has been on my bucket list. And I can finally cross one thing off that dang bucket list.

My friends and I made it after high school graduation. We had a plan to accomplish at least five out of the ten by the time we graduated from college. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get to even cross one off. Until now. I'll have to get in contact with them and check how well they did with crossing off their bucket list. Jack prints out some information about the conference. The company is paying for the flight and hotel for the weekend. I'll only have to pay for food and anything else I may want to get. Having never been to Chicago, I will definitely be buying some sort of souvenir to bring back.

"Thank you so much for asking me." I beam as I make my way back to my desk.

"I wouldn't have wanted anyone else to come with me. Anastasia, you are great at what you do. I'm impressed by your accomplishment you have done at the company thus far. You're more than a coffee girl."

I laugh, "glad you think so, Mr. Hyde."

"Jack," he follows me to my desk, "call me Jack."

I sit down, "Okay, Jack."

I log onto my email where I see Christian has emailed me a couple of times. I haven't talked to him all day. He probably thinks I have been captured or something. He's paranoid like that, but I find his overprotectiveness endearing. No boy has ever made me feel so secure like Christian has. It's a great feeling to have.

"Christian Grey, as in Grey Holdings and Enterprise?" Jack peers over my shoulder.

I had forgotten he was standing over me still. I didn't think he would be so nosy that he would read through my email contacts like that. Suddenly feeling violated, I nod my head. "Christian's my boyfriend."

"No shit," he whispers. "He's quite the success story."

"Yeah. At such a young age he mastered to create suck a thriving empire. I can only dream of someday accomplishing what he has."

Jack raps his knuckle on my desk. "With your work ethics, I wouldn't be so doubtful to yourself. I'm positive you'll be thriving in the book world by no time. Just don't leave me."