3 | But Not a Foe, Either

The two soon sat down on the grass, the younger opting to lay on the soft grass, gazing up at the moon which they are so fond of. N sits apart from them, separate but together.

The two continue to talk, sleep not on either of their minds.

"So, Alola, huh?"

"Mhm. Alola. That's why you might've not recognized any of my pokémon inside. I moved here a week or so ago."

N nods.

"Oh yeah, you guys don't have fairy types here, do you?"

"...We don't, as far as I'm aware."

Nyx laughs.

"Fun."

N shakes his head. He looks at them, and then to the moon they continue to gaze at.

"Why do you like the moon so much?"

"Why do you seem to hate humans so much?"

N goes quiet. Nyx sighs.

"Sorry, that was uncalled for. My bad."

N shakes his head, inhaling deeply. "I was adopted by someone at some point. He would bring pokémon home to play with me and well, they all hated humans. So, gradually I just believed that all humans mistreated their pokémon."

Nyx stays silent.

"Then I saw you help Patrat, and I didn't like where it was going.. and then he lead you to my home and.. well, you know what happened next."

"You thought I would've hurt them."

N nods firmly, not at all ashamed by his assumption.

"I see now that you're the only other person who cares that deeply about pokémon. It was evident when I saw the way you watched your partners."

The teen moves their head, gazing at the 19 year old. His green hair flows slightly in the breeze, and the moon lights up half of his face.

"Oh.." They whisper, meeting his gaze as he turns to them.

Nyx looks at him for a bit, turning back to the moon.

"The moon plays a big role in Alola, just as the Sun does. Our legendary pokemon, Solgaleo and Lunala, are the pokémon of the Sun and Moon respectively."

N's eyes widen at the explanation, he wasn't expecting them to share, even though he did.

"They help regulate what flows in and out of Alola, and control the light that shines in the sky. People usually choose one of the two to worship along side their island's guardian deity. I chose the Moon, for a lot of reasons."

Nyx finishes their explanation with a big sigh, sitting up, and soon standing up entirely. As of right now, they're taller than N, and take some pride from it.

"Well, I'm going back inside. See you in the morning, I guess.."

N watches the teen walk back quietly, their head down, probably gazing at their black boots.

He sighs.

"Why do I feel bad for asking? I shouldn't. People aren't good.. right, Zoroark? But they care.."

The pokémon appears from within the shadows of the trees, barking at N.

"I don't know, my friend. I don't know."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

The next morning, Nyx awakens with a sore back, sore neck, and, you know what?