24 | N's Castle

Hilda ran through the maze of hallways, running in circles so many times, she was almost dizzy from climbing floor after floor.

All of them were identical, except for one and the only reason she noticed was because a woman called out to her.

Hilda had followed her cautiously into an empty dining room where another girl stood, and where a door in the back corner caught her eye.

The two introduced themselves as N's sisters, also adopted by Ghetsis, Hilda now knew, and she briefly wondered if Nyx knew about any of this.

She guessed not.

They healed her worn out companions, her team now in much better shape.

She continued conversing with them, jumping slightly after being startled by a door slamming shut.

Hilda looked behind her. Nyx stood, hands on their knees, leaning against the door, sweat on their brow.

"That... was a long climb... and there were so many grunts...." they breathed out.

Hilda would've laughed if she hadn't just gone through the same thing. She watched as Nyx took their pull over hoodie off, the pink fabric now being wrapped around their waist, just over their short's waistband. Hilda was surprised see they had a sleeveless turtleneck on underneath.

She didn't take them for the type to wear something like that, but she supposed she didn't know much about them.

Nyx walked over, brow raised that the two women behind her. Hilda opened her mouth, but they introduced themselves before she could speak.

"I am Concordia, this is Anthea. We give peace and comfort to N, as he is our younger brother."

Nyx's eyes widen in shock as Concordia laughs.

"We've heard about you, Nyx. N mentioned you when he came back to us before the castle appeared. It was surprising to hear he was close to a human, after all, N has been separated from people since he was young. He was brought up with Pokémon... Pokémon that were betrayed, mistreated and hurt by bad people... Ghetsis deliberately brought only those poor Pokémon closer to N. N was touched by their plight, and started pursuing the truth, thinking only of Pokémon. N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."

Nyx listens closely but ignores the fact that they've been mentioned by N. The two teenagers are quiet, listening to the story about how N was brought up, and this whole thing makes so much more sense.

Nyx looks at Hilda, eyes burning with determination.

"You stay here and rest up. Take a break. I'll go buy you some time until back up arrives."

Hilda nods, watching Nyx leave.

"Ah, wait. Before you go."

Nyx turns back to Anthea as she calls out to them, motioning to the door tucked away into the corner of the room.

"You.. You might want to take a look in there."

Concordia glances at her, brow furrowed. "Is that the best idea?"

Anthea nods.

"He'd want them to see it.."

Nyx and Hilda walked over to the room, following the sisters as they unlock it.

Nyx's heart nearly breaks as they step inside.

The room is dimly lit, a toy train on its track going in circles, a slide in one corner and various balls are scattered around the room. In a corner opposite to the slide, colorful building blocks are stacked up, resembling a castle.