8 | Truths Concealed

N notices right away that something is off with Nyx, as they are quiet on the way back up to their apartment.

They fiddle with the bracelet on their left arm, and he finds it the time to ask about it.

"What is that you're playing with, anyway?"

Nyx tenses, looking at him with wide eyes.

"My.. Z-Ring."

"Z-Ring?"

Nyx nods. "It's a bracelet imbed with uh, the Tapu's power I think? They grant them to people, anyway. I got mine from the Tapu of the island I lived on in Alola. Anyway, you pair it with these,"

They pause, rummaging through their bag, pulling out a green crystal with a sprout on it, and Leafeon moves to it as they hold it up to N for him to look at it. He climbs onto their bicep, holding onto their forearm with his front paws.

Nyx laughs at his reaction, loosening up immediately. N sighs in relief internally.

"No, no, we can't use it in here. Anyway, this is a Z-Crystal. It's imbed with the same power, and you use it with pokémon you have a strong bond with to perform a powerful move corresponding to the crystal's type."

N listens in fascination, but pipes up with a question.

"Uh... what are Tapus?"

Nyx's brows raise, and they rub the back of their neck with their free hand, flushing in embarrassment. "Ah. They're the legendary pokémon in Alola, Guardians of the Islands. They're not the only ones we have though."

N nods. They walk back to the room, and Nyx puts the crystal away with the others they have, trying to unlock the door. They can't, so they hand the key over to N as he chuckles at them, shaking his head fondly.

They flush more, face red as they groan, flicking him in his shoulder before they grab their finger in pain, yelping. N laughs harder, and they roll their eyes at him in a sibling fashion.

Leafeon got off their shoulder and onto N's and they look betrayed.

"How could you..." They mutter jokingly, feigning offense. N and Leafeon laugh, making the fifteen year old groan.

"Man, fuck you guys I'm talking a nap."

They walk off, their tone playful, but N grabs their shoulder before they walk through their bedroom door.

"Um.. I need to talk to you about something."

Nyx looks at him, and they nod, expression soft. "Okay."

They sit down on the couch, yawning as N stands in front of them.

"So.. um. I want to attempt the Gym Challenge here."

Nyx nods. "I forgot that they don't do the Island Challenge here. So.. you want to leave?"

N raises a brow, but shakes his head. "Nevermind that. I.. I want you to come with me. You don't have to participate in it yourself, but.."

Nyx stands, and hugs him tightly.

"Of course I'll go..

N let's out a sigh of relief, running his fingers through their hair.

"I wanted to leave tomorrow. Is that okay? Do you need to pay rent at all?"

Nyx shakes their head. "Nah I had enough money to own this place. Everything should be fine."

N nods, albeit surprised at the amount of money this kid has, but he supposes its not out of the ordinary for trainers to have a decent amount of pocket money.

"So, we'll leave tomorrow then?" The younger asks, looking up at him. N nods, smiling.

"We'll leave tomorrow."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

The next morning was a busy one. The two trainers in the house ran around trying to pack up anything they think would be useful, as well as packing changes of clothes and food and water bottles.

They raid Nyx's pocky stash, and they pout, but N promises he won't eat any.

That seemed to placate them.

So, the two set off.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

N let's Nyx lead the way, chuckling to himself when they realize they don't know where they're going.

"Oh. Wha- Shush! Don't laugh. N!" They groan, and N nearly doubles over, laughing.

The 19 year old shakes his head fondly at Nyx, petting their head before he moves in front of them, leading the way to the next city.

"So, where are we going first?" Nyx asks, curious.

"Striation City." N answers. Nyx nods, reaching their left hand to his right one, and N opens it, allowing them to hold his hand as they walk.

"Your hands are cold." Nyx says, smiling.

N nods, laughing. "Mhm."

The two of them walk together in comfortable silence, until Nyx decides to speak up, asking an innocent question.

"So, how was your battle with that one girl yesterday?"

N stops, and looks at them, eyes wide, before he turns his head away from their direction, his expression visibly darkening.

"It was fine. Let's go."

He starts walking again, Nyx staying where they're standing, and their hand slips out of his.

"Nyx?"

He stops, turning around, facing them. His blue eyes are dark, and jaw clenched. Their brows are furrowed, and they looked confused, concerned. They look lost in thought.

"Nyx?" N calls again, his expression softening, as does his voice.

Said kid snaps out of it, shaking their head, laughing bitterly.

"Nothing. I'm okay. So it was good, yeah? That's good."

They speak, quicker than usual. They speed walk past him, but N grabs hold of their shoulder, stopping them successfully.

"I'm sorry, if I scared you.." he whispers, pulling them into a hug. To his relief, they relax and hug back, sighing contently against him.

"It's okay. You just acted off. Not a fan of battles, maybe?" They whisper, unsure.

N's eyes widen. "I guess you could say that.."

The two stand there for a while, hugging each other and enjoying the other's presence, standing in a comfortable silence and understanding.

Both of them know now.

Each of them have secrets they aren't ready to tell.

And that's okay.

Because they will always be there for each other.

No matter what.