Prologue

Here We Go Again

☕︎Being honest? Five didn't think they were going to survive, but what was worse, dying via moon rock or because of a failed attempt at time travel

It was still up for debate in his mind.

He wasn't trying to be pessimistic, because Five Hargreeves didn't consider himself a pessimist, unlike some people he knew.

He was a realist.

He was thinking realistically, and realistically they probably wouldn't have survived.

He had only time traveled once using his powers, and that hadn't turned out great in his favor. This time, he was dragging along six of his siblings, one being a ghost, and his friend. Who knew what would happen? Who could predict the outcome?

Whatever would happen would be his fault. It had been his idea, and he had dragged them all along with it. He would have to live with the consequences if he did end up living, he had thought in those short moments as the image of everyone standing around in a circle on that stage was replaced with bright light and whooshing winds, and their grasps on each other slipped away with it.

And then he fell. He wasn't sure from where.

Maybe he had fallen through the floor, or maybe a ravine had opened up below them because of the space rocks hitting the planet as the seconds ticked away, but either way, he was falling, and it was only a matter of moments before that falling sensation was replaced by the feeling of hitting solid ground.

All the lights and the wind that he could feel from behind his eyes screwed shut were no longer attacking him. That job was taken by everything else going on around him that he had yet to see until he pried his eyes open.

The first thing he noticed was the puddle he had landed in, which wasn't a great start but he had more important things to focus on, so he ignored the water splashing onto his socks as he stumbled to stand, staring at the massive blue vortex hanging in the sky above him. Clearly that had been whatever he had fallen out of, but there was one other fact that was nagging at him more.

He was alive. He had survived. He hadn't killed himself in the process, but the question was what had happened to everyone else? He was in a lonely alleyway, the only living person in sight. That begged the next question. Where was everyone else?

He continued to stare up at the void of light that had brought him here to this place without the others, as if they'd all just start appearing like he had. As if they were just waiting, pulling on his leg as they were ready to jump out and all start laughing about how they had scared the one and only, Five Hargreeves.

But nothing happened.

"Luther!" He called out into the air, in hopes of changing that reality, which wasn't very realist of him, but everyone had their weak moments. "Diego!"