10

We chose a little table on the right side and sat opposite each other. As Alastair ran his hands through his hair and looked around, he caught me looking at him. And instead of smirking or teasing me about it, he blushed. Yes, Alastair Kerr actually got red colour on his cheeks! Or maybe I'm overthinking it. Why will he blush? He has thousands of girls looking at him and doing much more than that on a daily basis.

A little girl of about nine years came bouncing up to us.
"Hello Allie!" She says in a cute, high pitched voice and Alastair seems genuinely happy to see her. He tugs at her pigtail and she gives out a happy yelp.
"Hi Stella. How are you?" He asks sweetly, in a manner completely different from his usual deep voice.

"I'm good and so is ma," her voice drops to a whisper, which I can clearly hear. "But who is she? Is she your girlfriend?" She asks accusingly and I burst out laughing. Alastair looks at me before looking at Stella again.
"No, she isn't. Aren't you my girlfriend?" He asks and she nods earnestly.

It's so endearing to see him like this. He really is adorable.
"I'll take a black coffee with no sugar, along with some brownies. What about you Gracie?" He says looking at me.
"I'll take a coffee with full milk and medium sugar, and yes, the brownies." I say and Stella walks away.

"Does she work here?" I ask and Alastair shakes his head.
"This store is owned by her mother, Dyna. Her father passed away three years ago and these two have been working ever since to make two ends meet. Since I visit this place often, I know them well." He shrugs like it's just a very common thing to do- caring for someone who can do nothing for you in return. A newfound respect for him emerged in my heart.

"When is your birthday Alastair?" I ask all of a sudden and he massages the back of his neck before speaking.
"May 14. You?"
"September 6. You're a Taurus person and I'm a Virgo." I say, thinking of how in astrology, Taurians and Virgos make a good pair.
"You believe in that?" He asks seriously and I shrug.
"Some parts of it are definitely true. You don't?"
"No, it says Taurians are weird. They may be found in a swimming pool dressed in formals. I'm not that fucking odd." He says with a grimace and I laugh loudly, my voice disturbing the silence of this earthly place

"So tell me about yourself." He says at the exact moment Stella places the coffees and brownies on our table.
"What do you wanna know?"
He leaned forward on the table. "Everything."
I shrug. "There is nothing special to know about me."

Really. If I had to ask Alastair, I could ask him about his football matches, his social life and interests, his popular life, his friends, anything. His life is interesting like that. But my life isn't. I'm just simple and plain Gracie.

"That's not possible. Everyone has a story to tell. Now tell me, what is your favourite colour?" He asks.
"Green." I say, unsure of where this was going.
"Why do you like green?" He asks, as if he's genuinely interested to know.
"It reminds me of nature."
"It seems like you love nature."
"Yes, it's the most beautiful thing, yet it goes unnoticed the most. There are photographers capturing it's beauty, writers writing poetry about, yet all of that fails to enhance it. Maybe beauty isn't meant to be portrayed, maybe it's only meant to be admired." I say and he smiles.

"See, that was easy. Conversation is simple Gracie." He says and my lips tilt upwards in a smile.
"Okay, let me keep this going? Where do you stay?" I ask him. Smooth Gracie, nice way to know his address and stalk the crap out of him. Alastair however doesn't notice that and sips on his coffee before he speaks.

"I stay in the student dorms between our school and the nearby college."
"Your parents?" Now why did I have to ask him that? What if it is a sensitive topic? Stupid me.

"My parents stay in Washington. I left them when I decided I wanted to go to a high school in Seattle." He casually says like that isn't a big deal at all and I just look at him. Living without my family will be very difficult for me. I may not have friends or a social life, but I have a complete family. I'm emotionally very attached to them and they're the only support system I have, which is more than enough.

"Do you mind me asking why you left them?" I try to read his eyes and he just looks at me. I feel so open when he looks at me like that. Like he can see the Gracie on the inside and pull her out with his captivating gaze.
"Gracie, you're so polite and formal, it's a surprise." He says with a wry grin and I flush.

"It's okay if you don't want to answer." I blurt out and stuff a brownie in my mouth to avoid saying any more shit.
"It's quite adorable actually. People aren't really that sweet nowadays." He says and I grin with the brownie in my mouth when he looks down.

"About my parents right? My dad never liked me. He had problems with my mother's side of family and since I resembled them, he used to hit me. With belts, shoes and every other thing he could get his hands on. I was his punching bag, someone he could remove all his frustation on. My mother never said anything. That was the kind of woman she was. Stoic, obedient and the perfect wife to my father. Once middle school finished, I came here. I work at the Parisian restaurant downtown to earn money and that is how I survive here." He says all this nonchalantly, leaving my mouth open.

All this made me realize, Alastair Kerr isn't a rich, bad jerk; he is just as human as all of us. He makes mistake and is running away from his past, from people who were supposed to embrace him and love him the way he is. He didn't get anyone to cherish him and that's why he keeps trying to love people; by saving them from bullies, by becoming their friend, by taking care of them. He is not only popular, he deserves all of that. At that moment, I know I respect him.

He looks so totally alone at that time that my hand instinctively moves to cup his. He jerks his head to look at me with wide eyes but I hold on. His body language gradually loosens and I keep my hand on his, sweat accumulating on the inside of my palm.

"Is it easy? You talk so casually about your issues." I say softly and he runs his other hand through his hair.
"Lion King was my favourite movie once upon a time. There's this dialogue from the movie- the past can hurt; but the way I see it, you can either learn from it, or run from it. I chose to face it. Everyone has problems nowadays. It's no big deal. No one said life was supposed to be easy. Why should I let my wounds be my weakness? I don't want people trying to break down my walls because the thing is, I haven't set up any. I'm not a bad, mysterious boy with a past someone needs to discover and an inner good side someone has to uncover. I'm not a slave to my past." He says with determination in his eyes and I tighten my hold on his hand.

"You're a wonderful person." I say. And I mean it.

At that moment, I try to ignore the warm feeling in my tummy when he smiles and his hold on my hand tightens a bit more.