35

I'm sitting cross-legged on Mel's bed as she clicks another selfie. I sigh in exasperation and she pouts at me. She aims the back camera at me and I keep on a blank expression. She clicks my picture and shows it to me. I look dumb.

"Melissa can you stop it please?" I ask her and she hops on the bed, throwing her phone to the side.
"Grace it's not what you think. I've seen the way he is around you. I really don't think that any guy who looks at a girl like that can hurt her. Maybe that lipstick mark-"

"What? His sister gave him that mark? Do you even care? I'm upset over something here and you just go on clicking pictures of yourself and behaving as if I don't exist!" I snap at her and Mel's mouth drops open.

I've never been rude to my best friend. I run my hands through my messy hair, realizing what I've done.
"I'm sorry."

Melissa simply comes to me and places a hand on mine. When I look up at her, without a word, she envelopes me into a hug. I make a noise at the back of my throat.

She rubs my hair soothingly. "It's okay. All of this, it will be okay." Then seperating, she smiles at me. "You know what? Let's have a girl's day out. Movie, lunch and shopping?" She asks and I nod. I don't feel like going anywhere but a change of environment will be good.

We dress up and spend the rest of the day together. I keep checking my phone for any texts or calls from Alastair, but there are none. He doesn't even have an explanation. Or maybe he just doesn't care enough to give one.

•••

Today is the first fest day. How ironic is it that we have the Drama day today. I wear a pretty green flowy dress which ends near my knees. Since we're representing the school, we have to look presentable. I apply a bit of liner and gloss. Even though I hate make up, I need some of it to look fresh.

Upon reaching school, I see it is full of students from various other schools of Seattle. Some are participating, most of them are here to watch the function. The events are already taking place in different corners and I wade around the ground to assume my duty at the help desk.  

Just when I'm glad I can't see him around, a wonderful voice floats from the stage.
"Good morning ladies and gentlemen." I turn around to see him addressing the crowd. He is dressed in formals. Hair pulled back and sleeves folded up to his elbows, he looks dapper. Too bad he is an evil person within.

I sit on my place beneath an umbrella. People come over and talk to me all the while, some want to know the location while the rest are just bored. I'm looking around when I hear someone from behind me.

"Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?"

I look at the guy and there he is, Levi Martin, the guy I met at Stuart's party. "Hey." I smile at him as I stand up.
"I'm glad you remember me." He says and holds out a hand. I shake it and he holds my hand a bit too long for my liking. I move back a little.

"Of course I do. Approaching girls with a pick up line is your signature style, isn't it?" I tease and he grins.
"I wouldn't have approached you if I knew you were Alastair's girlfriend." He says.

"I'm not Alastair's girlfriend." I say. No matter how nice that sounds, I won't lie.
"Is it? Then why is he looking at us like a vulture about to pounce?"

I turn around confused and look over where Alastair is standing with a girl. The girl is speaking to him, but his eyes are fixed on me. They are a mix of rage and jealousy, his gaze makes my toes curl as it pierces through me. I look away.

"He's just a protective friend." I shrug.
"Too protective." Levi raises his eyebrows and I frown. I don't like how he is talking. He's too cocky.

"Mind showing me the Street Play event location?"
"Yeah come on." I say and we start walking towards the end of the ground.

I turn back for the last time and Alastair is still looking. I feel bad for both of us, but I'm just accompanying Levi as a friend. The anger in his eyes has been replaced by hurt and regret, also, warning? I'm sure I'm imagining it. Jerks don't get hurt so easily, do they? I start talking to Levi and we disappear into the crowds.

Alastair's Point of View

She looks so pretty today. She always does. I want to talk to her and tell her that the green colour of her dress brings out the brown of her eyes, but I can't. I brought this upon myself.

Levi fucking Martin is talking to her and I'm not liking this at all. She's so naive, she'll get entangled in his sweet words. She doesn't know he is a creep who just likes to touch girls and flirt with them. She'll think he's nice.

She looked at me and I noticed the sadness on her face. I hurt her. She was just beginning to like me. I never had a chance with her and she had begun to like me. I'm such a goddamn fool.

I watch as Levi talks to her some more and they go off in the crowds. I hope she is sensible enough to not be fooled by him.

The girl in front of me asks for my number. She is hot, but she isn't Gracie. I scratch my head. Giving out the number is harmless, but it does result into conversations more than the general ones.
"I'm sorry, but I'm taken."
She makes a sad face and waves goodbye to me. I'm taken by someone who will never be mine.

As for Levi. Touch Gracie and I'll kill you fucker.