Chapter 26

Chapter 26

*Live Show 5*

*Saturday*

Megan’s P.O.V:

When I woke up this morning I felt really groggy. I felt like crap. I took a shower in the hope that I would feel better, and it worked. I walked down to breakfast, I couldn’t eat much, I was too nervous, and there was too much riding on this performance.

At the studio’s I was in my dressing room practising and my throat started to get a bit sore. I stopped and went for lunch. I sat with Union J in the canteen. I didn’t talk much. “What’s up Megan?” Jaymi asked. “Nothing, just my throat is a bit sore and I’m resting it.” I rasped. He nodded in understanding. After lunch I was called to sound check. “My throat’s been a bit sore, but I think I’ll make it through tonight” I croaked to Tulisa. “Well, we will do sound check once so we don’t strain your voice. Okay?” T smiled. I could tell she was worried. Lucy couldn’t even perform tonight because she was so sick. Now I had a bad throat, it’s not T’s day today. I took my place on stage. I gulped. I started to sing, it was all going well, my throat was sore but I would battle through. During the instrumental after the chorus, I looked into the audience, all the contestants. I opened my mouth ready to sing the second verse but nothing came out. I tried again and nothing came out. I had lost my voice.

Fudge. This couldn’t be happening. I had to perform tonight, I couldn’t lose my voice, and I just couldn’t. “Stop the music,” T shouted. I walked towards her. “What the hell was that Megan?” she shouted. I tried to talk back I used all my energy, it felt like I was shouting but it only came out as a whisper. “I’m sorry”. I stared at the floor and pulled the sleeves of my sweatshirt over my hands. T enveloped me into a hug. “I’m sorry I snapped Megan, it’s just with Lucy being so sick and now you’ve lost your voice. I’m very stressed.” T said. I nodded in acknowledgement. I can’t imagine how stressed out she is right now. I couldn’t continue with sound check, so I just ran into my dressing room. I couldn’t take it anymore, the one week I was depending on my performance. I just sat in my dressing room and cried, why me? Ugh, I had to man up. There were people fighting cancer out there I’m crying because I’ve lost my voice. I need to grow up. I was determined to perform tonight; I wasn’t going to speak a single word until show time.

I went to the canteen to get some dinner after spending ages just playing games on my phone. I was getting really bored not being able to sing or speak. I texted Jade after I had food. “I’m so sorry but I can’t ring you guys, I’ve lost my voice. Tell everyone I love them loads. Megs xx” Within seconds I got a reply. I loved the fact that Jade was a fast replier. “Omg! Hope ur okay! Everyone here loves you; hope you find your voice before tonight’s show. Ilysfm Jadey xxx” After I texted Jade, I went to hair and make-up. My hair was in big bouncy curls with a side parting. My make-up was the same as usual, smoky eye with winged eyeliner and a nude lip.

Half an hour before show time I went and got changed. I really loved my dress this week, the top of the dress was a cream bralet and the bottom was a dipped hem black skirt, it looked lovely on the hanger, but as usual I looked like an obese rat in it.  I slipped on a pair of black pumps and some cream bangles. I didn’t have to patch up on the fake tan this week, my bruises were all hidden, and the ones on my arms had faded.

I was last on tonight, to give my voice as much time as possible. Twenty minutes before I was due to go on. I went to my dressing room to warm up my voice. Thankfully, it was back in action. I practised my song once and no more. I didn’t dare sing it more than once; I went through the lyrics in my head. Ten minutes before I was due to go on there was a knock on my door. I opened it and George walked in. “Did you warm up?” he asked. I nodded. “And?” he questioned. I gave him thumbs up. A smile grew on his face. George wrapped his hands round my waist and smashed his lips onto mine. I kissed him back, our lips moved in sync. The butterflies were going crazy in my stomach. I have never felt this way about anyone before. George pulled away, and giggled. His giggle was the cutest thing ever.  “I have wanted to do that since Thursday morning” he smiled. I grabbed a damp tissue and wiped around his mouth, my lipstick was on his face. He just laughed. I was doing my best not to laugh.