Family bonds

-Third Person POV-

Dinner went on just as planned, after a while spent in the kitchen and a couple of little accidents happening here and there with the baking of Evelynn and Adam, everything was prepared without a problem.

Something to be expected of the now named "Army of the kitchen"

And while the night kept getting late, the time of dessert was just arriving.

No one was as excited as the little redhead girl.

Zoe: Can we eat now!?

Allion: Zoe, calm down, you'll have your piece of cake, just let your brother hand out everyone their pieces. Or you can take a piece of Holly's apple pie.

Zoe: Both sounds good.

Hu Tao: What made you so excited anyways?

Zoe: I'm excited about the delicious chocolate mooncake that my dad baked!

Zhu Hong: Is it that good?

Zoe: Good!? It's the bestest thing in the universe!

Everyone saw the girl with warm eyes, especially her big brother, feeling that for a moment, things were not so different from how they used to be before life felt so complicated. Just worrying about eating cake, seeing his sister happy, his parents smiling...

And then he looked around, but his smile didn't go away.

Akali was playfully trying to take a piece of pie out of Kai'sa's plate, who was happily chatting with Iris and her grandma. Evelynn was looking at the chocolate cake with worried eyes, almost counting the calories. Ahri was simply delighting herself with the cake while she watched her kids with a smile. Seraphine, who was starting to feel more comfortable with the ambience, was helping him hand out the cake.

Selene was calmly talking with his mother, Allion was giving pointers to Adam about how to be a proper husband. Despite the usual chaos, the problems, it all felt just right.

He then saw through the sliding door that led to the backyards, where the incident of the afternoon happened. And he could see it. Standing outside of the house, in the distance, it was haunting him.

But his eyes once more focused on his surroundings until his eyes landed on Evelynn. She had moved from her seat to his side. With something in her hands behind her back, he knew what it was, he saw her baking it. But it didn't make it any less awkward for her.

Evelynn: So, I guess it's the moment I give you this?

She presented him with a cupcake she baked under his little tutelage in the kitchen. It looked a little burnt and it really didn't have any frosting on it, so it was more of a simple muffin. But he smiled as he took it in his hands nonetheless.

Without hesitating for a moment, he gave it a little bite, letting a surprised expression make its way to his face.

Uncharacteristically nervous, Evelynn remained there watching with attentive eyes. She even ignored how everyone was focusing on them at that moment.

(Y/N): Hey, for it being your first time, you did a pretty great job.

Evelynn: Huh? Really?

(Y/N): Yeah, try it out yourself.

He put the muffin close to her face and after a moment of hesitation, she gave it a little bite. Immediately making a displeased face and backing down a little.

Evelynn: It's burnt and practically tasteless!

(Y/N): Huh? But I think it tastes pretty good? What do you say dad?