Absent

Four days later, Ominis leaned over just before Alchemy began, asking to once again meet in the Undercroft after Potions. Sebastian never showed for either of our morning classes, so I was able to stay back as the Potions classroom emptied out. The two of us walked together from there.

When I asked about Sebastian, Ominis shrugged. "I haven't seen him since yesterday morning."

It had become somewhat commonplace over the past few weeks for the Slytherin to disappear, usually for a day at most. This was the first time he'd missed multiple classes, which Ominis told me would surely result in detention—not that Sebastian ever really learned his lesson.

As we both walked into the Undercroft, I looked around just be sure we were alone. A Legilimency book on a nearby table, suggested that Sebastian had been there recently, but nothing more. I picked it up with a "Hm," before putting it back.

"What is it?" Ominis asked.

"Sebastian must have been reading in here."

"About what?"

"Legilimency."

Ominis' sharp exhale drew my attention.

"What is it?"

"Why would Sebastian be studying Legilimency?"

I furrowed my brow. Why hadn't he told Ominis? "He's had this book since the beginning of the year. It seemed so interesting that I also checked out a couple of books on Occlumency."

"You knew?" he asked incredulously. "Though, I'm not surprised he wouldn't tell me. He knows my experience hasn't been good."

"Your experience? Are you a Legilimens?"

He considered for a moment. "Most of my family have some talent for it. I'm not very good at it. Probably would help if I could see," he sighed, "but that's not what I meant by experience. Both of my older brothers are very talented in the craft, and they've used it to their advantage many times."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Ominis."

He scoffed. "It's why I'm thankful for Occlumency...best to have my own thoughts stay my own. I shudder to think what would've happened if Marvolo had been able to see any of the events from last year."

I didn't know Marvolo well, but based on passing him in the corridors a few times, I didn't want to. I was glad he'd already been a seventh-year when I'd arrived and was gone now.

"But all of that is beside the point, I suppose. If Sebastian is dabbling in Legilimency, I would hope he is being careful. It can be dangerous, but it's not why I wished to speak with you," Ominis said, recentering on the purpose of our conversation.

"I'll keep an eye on him. What did you need?"

"It's about Anne," he told me. "I've been...visiting her almost every weekend since term started, and she's slowly but surely becoming worse."

I sighed, averting my eyes to the floor and wishing there was something—anything—I could do.

"I remember you mentioned that Isidora Morganach had discovered a way to remove pain, and wanted to know more, especially if it might help Anne."

I closed my eyes briefly, turning toward the pensive and the triptych. "I wish I could say for sure, Ominis. The Keepers won't talk about it, and Isidora's other portrait was destroyed. The magic she used was...dark. I've seen it myself and there's something unsettling about it, to say the least."

"So her other portrait is gone?"

I nodded absentmindedly. "The painting was mostly blackened in her childhood home."

Another, "Hm," and then, "Depending on the damage, we may be able to find an artist who can restore it."

Surprised, I turned back toward him. "You mean...bring her painting back to life?"

He nodded, a small smile on his face. "Magical paintings are tricky, but I've heard of fire victims being returned to near what they were before. It may be worth a shot."

I bit my lip, unsure if we should. Isidora may have begun with good intentions, but the Keepers had expressed their concerns about how extracting pain had changed her. "We could try it," I eventually agreed.

Ominis promised he would do some of his own research and hopefully find someone who could do it. Until then, I made a mental note to talk to the Keepers' portraits about any other ways we could help Anne.

--

Sebastian remained absent for the rest of our classes that day. More concerning, nobody seemed to know where he was. When the class paired up for human Transfiguration spells, Professor Weasley simply said she had been told he would not be attending class, so I joined Ominis and Poppy, taking turns attempting to transfigure each other's hair and eye color. At one point, Poppy managed to change Ominis' hair into platinum blonde, which he commented probably made him favor his mother more than usual. Both Ominis and I struggled with the spells. Though I noticed Ominis' attempt made my hair a bit lighter than usual, I was unable to make any sort of change at all to Poppy.

I left the class frustrated for many reasons, opting to join Natty and Garreth at the Gryffindor table for dinner at the Great Hall. The three of us sat together, but I barely participated in the conversation, choosing instead of focus on my food and my own thoughts. It wasn't until I felt a hand on my shoulder and someone sit down next to me that I looked up from my plate.

Sebastian mumbled a greeting to the three of us as he reached for some food, but didn't even manage a smile. He looked disheveled—his hair sticking up at odd angles and his eyes red and swollen. He then proceeded to pick at the mashed potatoes and roast chicken he had placed on his plate instead of eating them. It wasn't until he glanced at me, then his eyes settled on me in sort of a double-take, that I realized I was staring. He looked back down at his food, hunching over and finally taking a small bite.

I moved over slightly toward him and reached for his left hand, next to his plate. He squeezed his eyes shut, his breath hitching before he let it all out slowly. I could feel the tingle I'd been feeling for weeks now, but it felt stronger again. Before I could speak, Sebastian withdrew his hand, leaving the table and walking for the Great Hall doors at a remarkable pace. I sent an apologetic look to Natty and Garreth before following him, catching him in the Reception Hall, near the House hourglasses. He had his back to me, one hand on his hip and the other braced against his forehead. I could hear him drawing steady and deliberate breaths, but occasionally those breaths would falter.

Coming around, I placed myself between him and the wall, trying to catch his eye. When he didn't move, I put my hand on his cheek.

Slowly, he opened his eyes. The hand that had been on his hip covered mine as the other found its home on my shoulder, which I grasped gently. I watched him as he watched me, hopelessness in his eyes. I swore I could feel his pain. He removed my hand from his cheek, pressing his lips to my palm before cradling it against his chest. "I saw Anne today," he managed, voice barely above a whisper.

My heart sank as I inhaled sharply, knowing that what should have been a happy reunion couldn't have been. "Oh, Sebastian."

The tears in his eyes that had already been threatening to fall began to win their battle. He wiped them away, closing his eyes for a moment before continuing, "She—she's dying." His swallow was more like a gulp. "She wanted to see me before..." he puffed heavily, unable to finish the sentence.

I squeezed my eyes shut to stop the tears. The energy flowing between our hands only made my own emotions stronger. I squeezed his hands, making up my mind then and there. We would go to see the Keepers. Now. "Come with me."

I didn't even bother letting go of him, pulling him along behind me until he could get his bearings and keep up. We ran through the castle, reaching the Map Chamber in record time. As we opened the door, I heard a small sound of awe come from him, but said nothing. I had one mission. "Professor Rackham," I called, "I must speak with you."