Birthday Gifts

Vote, Comment, Follow! Love ya! ❤️

Madeline's POV:

I stare out of my window with Bea in my arms and wonder about my life. I find myself back inside my head wondering for change. I want to take Bea right into the forest and run away from all of this. I want to run away from all things that could hurt us. I want to leave this cruel world behind. I wish we could go to another planet and live there. The world would be ours and we would have everything we need. We would invite our friends and family on holidays and birthdays...like today.

My birthday.

Today is my birthday, I am finally nineteen years old. Many would think turning another age would mean celebration, but all it means is me being stuck in a nightmare. I'm stuck in my own nightmare.
I usually think about how this would all play out. If I would die or live, would I become the thorns of the rose or would I become the finger that is pricked. If I am the thorns that would mean I
am protecting, defending myself from harm. If I am the finger then I am picking and getting involved with something that will make me hurt and bleed in the end.

Will I be okay? Will I make it?

I pray to the gods that Bea would never have to experience this. I can hardly handle me and Esme going through this, so for her having to do this one day is nerve racking. I really hope that if I have a mate he would let me keep Bea, because if I can't I would have to leave her with my mother and who knows what would happen.

I know I can bring Bea with me to the Mate Ball. It's rare because we are told not to have been with a man or woman before hand meaning no kids, but sometimes it happens. If I am mated I will let them know that this is only my baby because I saved her. Wherever she goes, I go.

That's a bit of a fib because when I work I have to choice but to leave her here at the shed alone. Bea is smart, she watches herself for hours. I give her little food and she knows where it's at when it's time to eat. I set a contraption up to remind her when to eat. Everyday Rafi gets up at a certain time to get water. He doesn't drink lots of water, so I use that as a reminder. He has a string around his wrist. When he gets far enough to drink water the little bell will ring. Bea would get up and grab the sandwich from the cooler. She would drink the water from the bucket that I filled with water from the well.

Like I said, she's smart.

We all had to learn to adapt to things and we have. We will continue to.

"Is it itching?" I asked Bea as she scratched her branding. Bea got her branding two days ago. She screamed and I cried seeing them burn her to show her kingdom, but it had to be done. If not she could be killed or sold off for slavery for the dragons.

Dragon shifters are very beautiful, mean, nice, disgusting creatures. I had a few run in's and depending on the person they could be nice or mean. Many I've met are mean and very...open. They don't cover much and there is nothing to be left unimaginable because you see it all. They are open about what they want and what they have. If they want you they tell you, but they hardly ever force you to do anything with them.

That's just the disgusting ones that I brought up.

"No, it hurts." She said and Esme turned to get a cool towel. She put it in Bea's wrist and I held it there while Bea laid on my chest and rested.

Esme was twisting my hair and doing a fishtail braid with flowers in my hair. I thanked her when she finished and got up to see me in the mirror I found in the castle's dumpster. It was cracked at the bottom, but I didn't care, they waste so many good things for no reason.