17.5

Jake and I sat in each other's presence for a couple more minutes, me straddling his waist with my head on his shoulder while his arms were around my waist.

We'd finished our heavy make-out session about thirty minutes ago but neither of us could seem to get up first.

I heard him groan at the sound of Tamai's voice ringing through his ear. I didn't hear what he said but what I did hear was Jake's annoyance when he muttered, "Course that bitch chooses now to show back up," in my ear.

I'm positive that if Tamai never rang Jake to tell him to bring his ass to the feast, we wouldn't have made it here.

Both of us flew back to home tree to change before heading in, Jake not letting me sit anywhere else but beside him.

It wasn't that he verbally demanded me to sit beside him, but the pulling out of the chair and the look he gave me said everything it needed to.

I'm sure that if I genuinely wanted to sit somewhere else, he would've let me, but beside Jake was the only place I wanted to be at this moment.

I wasn't sure how to act, sitting beside him after we just made out for fifteen minutes straight. Could I touch him? Look at him with any look in my eyes other than platonic-ness? How flirty could I be in public with him?

This was so new to me, my past relationships have always been setups by my mother or father where I was expected to act like a 'lady' in public with him.

Which really meant: acting like we were together in public, and playing the part these guys wanted me to play.

I didn't even know what this was. This thing with Jake.

Were we genuinely interested in each or were we just insanely hot for one another? Did he want anything other than hook-ups and make-out sessions with me? Did he just need something to take his mind off of the stresses of his military rank?

I had practically been begging him to kiss me with my eyes for the past two weeks, and now that he has... It's brought up way too many questions and concerns for my liking.

I knew of Jake. What he's been like with women before. How he has never been in a single relationship since becoming Na'vi. How he's only ever hooked up with women and nothing further has ever happened.

Was I just another one?

I can hear my oldest brother's voice in my ears, one of my last conversations with him playing in my head.

"Don't be a dumb bunny, Nessy."

"Yekam... what the fuck are you talking about? Did you drink too much again?" I teased him, sometimes whatever came out of his mouth was nonsense.

"A bunny, I just learned, is an animal from earth. They're apparently very gullible, they never know when to not go after the carrot, even if the person holding it will kill them. Thus... a dumb bunny."

"Gee... thanks."

"I'm not saying you ARE a dumb bunny, I'm warning you NOT to be one..." His facial expression changed from playful to serious too quickly for my liking, "He's not good to you, Ness. Don't stay with him to please other people."

The worst part about what he was saying, is that it was true. I had a habit of staying with the men my parents had set up for me, just to please them.

Even if they were horrible, I still stayed.

My parents meant well, and if they knew how badly I'd been treated, they would pull me away from him themselves, but I kept it all to myself.