24

"Li'Nessa," Jake's voice was stern and, if taken out of context, sounded like a warning.

But Jake wasn't warning her.

He was pleading with her.

Jake could see the hurt in her eyes.

Nessa's eyes tore away from his as she started to glance around the room, something she often did when her brain was in overdrive, trying to process information.

Why does he have a file on me? Did he read it yet? Did he know everything before I even told him?

All of the questions ran through her mind, each one leading back to a stabbing pain in her lower left rib cage. She felt like she'd been kicked in the stomach.

Jake's hand gently slid onto her waist, stepping closer, "Ness," he whispered.

Nessa subconsciously leaned into Jake, because even if she'd been hurt by him, he was still the only one to ever truly comfort her.

She needed Jake to comfort her when he was the one who hurt her.

Dumb.

Bunny.

Nessa's temple rested in the middle of Jake's chest, her arms hanging down at her sides with the same expression written on her face.

One of Jake's hands rested on her lower back as the other rubbed up and down her upper back.

Nessa noted how Jake's hands spanned across her entire back, his warmth covering her in a thin layer of peace.

Jake planted a small kiss on top of her head, setting his forehead there, "Baby," his voice just above a whisper.

"Don't," Nessa whispered back, "In a few minutes we're gonna start arguing but right now I just need you to shut up."

Jake lifted his head and stared at the wall ahead of him, clenching his jaw and nodding his head.

If there was one thing he wanted to hold off as long as possible, it was their first fight.

And if there was another thing he wanted to hold off even longer, it was seeing hurt fill the eyes of the woman he was falling in love with because of his own actions.

Jake already knew he should've told Nessa, he got so wrapped up in everything else that no time ever seemed to be 'right'.

Nessa eventually pulled back, taking a small step away from Jake.

"How long?" She asked.

"Eight months," Jake responded dryly.

The words felt like daggers slipping off his tongue. Daggers going straight towards her.

The hurt behind Nessa's eyes deepened, causing Jake to feel an immediate pang in his stomach.

"Eight...?" Nessa repeated, voice breathless like saying the words were yet another punch to the gut.

Jake didn't respond as he clenched and unclenched his jaw multiple times, staring straight at Nessa's eyes which continued to dart around the room. Like somehow the inanimate objects would bring clarity as to why Jake never told her.

Jake watched as her facial expression slowly switched from hurt to angry, the transition was so slow that only someone as observing as Jake could see it.

Nessa's eyes finally locked back with Jake's, this time her eyes sent his daggers right back at him, "We've been together for six of those eight months," Nessa took another step away from Jake, "and you never told me?"