10

Okay ngl, this chapter is a little boring and no matter how much I edited it, it's just not my favorite but ya know we're here so...

it's a lot of inner dialogue, which is probably why It's not my favorite but... enjoy, i hope!

___

I sat next to Jake while Mo'at inspected his cut. I was just staring down at it, sitting still with no emotion behind my eyes. I didn't feel... anything. I felt so empty. And the only thing I had to do right now to take my mind off of it was watching them.

Tsu'Main had moved over to sit on the floor in front of the couch, right beside my legs. I knew he was watching me, trying to read my facial expressions and see how I was doing.

I knew he was scared, the last time something happened, I was emotionless for weeks.

The first time it happened, it freaked Mian out. He thought I would never return back to normal. By the third time it happened, he was used to the response. And now this is the fourth. I saw it as just another trauma added to the list honestly, but Mian always got scared for me, regardless of knowing I would return back to normal eventually.

"Ma'Jake, how old is this?" Mo'at asked Jake, pulling me out of thought.

Jake's eyes were focused on the ceiling as he answered her, "I just got it. I had another cut under it that was a week old though." He responded as if it was nothing and his voice sounded cold, distant.

"Jake," Mo'at hissed at him, "You are like a child."

"Tell me about it," Tamai mumbled, standing across from Jake with his arms crossed.

Jake ignored him as he continued to stare up at the ceiling. He looked angry, it wasn't the same Jake that just brought me back from a panic attack. That Jake was soft, kind, gentle. This Jake is intimidating, harsh, and unapproachable. His eyes looked deep in thought, I wonder what all was going on behind there.

Mo'at shook her head and sighed, looking at the cut still. It was deep and long, it looked painful. "It's infected, Jake. I'll need to take care of you first when Ninat gets back."

Jake's eyes finally shot down from the ceiling to Mo'at, he didn't have to say anything for her to know what he was going to say. He shook his head and sat up, "No, you'll take care of me last."

He wasn't suggesting it. It was already made up in his mind. A part of me wondered how he could do that? How he could just say no and everyone in the room accepted it.

He stood up from the couch, walking around the coffee table. He finally started to take off his weapons, unstrapping his knife holster and taking off his rifle, setting both items down on the coffee table as he sat in front of it.

He unzipped his military vest and slipped it off. I'm surprised Mo'at didn't force him to take it off while she was inspecting the cut on his lower side, but honestly it seemed like she was trying to look at it before Jake had a chance to rush off.

Mo'at just sighed at him, I could tell she wanted to fight him on it but just didn't have the energy right now.

Jake picked up his gun, taking it apart and resetting it. He took the barrel off, setting it aside and disassembling the entire thing. I always saw that Jake knew exactly what he was doing in every area he was over, but watching him handle a rifle like he knew it inside and out gave me a weird new perspective.

Ninat finally returned, carrying a huge basket of medicines and medical supplies. Behind her was another woman, who I assumed was a healer, carrying all the transportable machines used to check vitals.