4

Okay so little author's note moment that I wanted to make. There is a difference in this story between healers and Tsahiks. Healers tend to the wounded and the Ikran, and that's about the extent of it. But Tsahiks, while also tending to the wounded, are the ones who make and give medicine, help Na'vi give birth, and most importantly interpret the will of Eywa.

___

I sat across my brother, Tsu'Mian, at our welcoming feast. To his left was his wife, Ninat, and to his right was Jake, who sat as head of the long table. Jake and my brother had been speaking about the military training since the feast started.

I looked to my left at Jake, I wasn't sure how to feel about him. I was observing him since we arrived here. He takes on certain responsibilities of an Olo'eyktan, but he wasn't. A part of me wondered why, but I knew it wasn't my place to ask. That's never stopped me before, but my brother already scolded me into being on my best behavior. Especially for the first few days.

I tuned in to their conversation, to seem present.

Jake nodded his head at my brother, "Absolutely. All of your men have a place in our military. We have multiple different areas and there's no doubt in my mind that there's a place for all of them."

"What about the women?" I questioned. I could already feel my brother's burning stare into the side of my head as I looked up at Jake.

Jakes eyes shifted to me and I didn't realize how intimidating he was until his eyes were burning into mine. Even while sitting down, the extra two feet he had on me in height was apparent.

Jake hummed in response to my question, tilting his head to the side, "What do you mean?"

"Well, since we've gotten here, you've only ever talked about men being in your military. Upper forest Omatikaya have men and women in our military. They deserve-"

"Nessa, please," my brother cut me off, "It is they who've welcomed us in. We need to take on their customs."

"Mian-"

"Enough, Nessa." My brother cut me off, silencing me.

Mine and Jake's eyes never left each other, this man was intense on eye contact when he was speaking to someone. It was part of what made him so intimidating.

His hand came up, as a way to say that it was okay for me to speak. "It's alright, Tsu'Mian, I take no offense," Jake responded to my brother on my behalf, keeping eye contact with me. I was starting to get kind of... nervous.

"We can talk about a place for the women as well," Jake said.

"A real place?" I asked, "Not just throwing them into training to become healers or Tsahiks? Or those who take care of the men after they come back? Or the ones who take care of the Ikran? A real place for the women who have trained years to become warriors?"

"Nessa, watch your attitude. You speak to Toruk Makto." My brother hissed at me. I could tell he felt embarrassed by me expressing my thoughts.

Still, Jakes eyes held to mine. "Are you a warrior?" He asked.

I knew he would ask.

I nodded, "I am, and I think it's highly important-"

"Hey, you don't have to defend yourself." Jake cut me off, "There will be a place for the women, a real place." Jake finished, using the same tone and expression I used.