31

Li'Nessa

It didn't take long for Jake to be thrown into his Olo'eyktan duties. Thankfully, Mo'at alllwed me some rest from my training so I could oversee all training on base while Jake was busy.

I insisted he give the responsibility to someone else, but he wouldn't cave. Claiming that his lieutenants already had their plates full and Tamai was already taking over parts of security and strategy planning.

So, here I am, outside training all the young warriors on basic bow and arrow use. After, I'll write up reports for everyone, tracking their progress and levels.

Meanwhile, Jake has thrown himself into planning one of the first Olo'eyktan meetings. Gathering Olo'eyktans from different clans through the forest to talk about the war and preserving the forest while also preserving our peace. It's never been done before, but, to his surprise, eighteen Olo'eyktans will be showing up in just three weeks.

Jake would never admit he was stressed out loud, but the constant tapping of his fingers while hes talking, planning, or thinking about it gives him away. Or the tiredness in his eyes that he conceals for the clan until he walks through our front door. Or the slight increase in his breathing when he's listening to someone else talk about plans regarding their arrival.

Jake may conceal it from others, but to me, it's as obvious as his distaste for melon water (a juice meant to cleanse your organs).

"Ken'iyah, stop goofing around... I won't ask again," My voice came out stern as I looked directly at the thirteen year old girl. She's always been a pain, but she only acts out to hide her insecurities around her hunting abilities.

Her shoulders dropped slightly, her eyes meeting mine with defiance still dancing around in her pupils. I raise my eyebrows, a silent challenge that she backs away from with a small huff.

I soften my face, tilting my head in the direction of the targets, "Try again," I encourage, my voice more gentle and motherly.

A look of embarrassment passes through her face as she hesitates before raising her bow to take another shot. I smile gently before walking down the row, examining the other students.

Jake's voice makes my head snap past the training range and out, seeing him walk beside Tamai, his anger radiating off of him even from far away.

Tamai was making gestures with his hands, his voice suddenly coming into my earshot, "-not listening. Jake, stop," Tamai grabbed Jake's bicep to make him stop but Jake just ripped his arm from Tamai's grasp.

"It's none of your goddamned business, Tamai. I have more important things to worry about than justifying my actions to you." Jake spat.

"It's not a good idea, you're dancing with the devil on this one. You know it," Tamai's eyes seared into him, communicating a thousand unspoken words.

"I am the fucking devil. Fortunately, I'm not afraid of myself."

Tamai's face was the picture of frustration, "You should be," he pinned Jake with a look I've never seen him give, "This isn't the time to be an arrogant ass, Jake. I'm serious-"

"So am I. My mind won't change, It's my decision and I've made it. Take your grievances somewhere else." Jake spoke his final words before walking off, speaking into his throat microphone.

Tamai just stood for a moment, nodding to himself before he laughed bitterly and walked in the opposite direction.

My eyes lingered on the spot they stood for a few moments longer. I've seen a lot of emotions display on Jake's face in the past months, but I've never seen him with pure, cold, anger in his eyes.