15

I was started awake by someone shaking my shoulders. I grabbed their wrist tightly as I sat up. I let out a breath when I saw Mian was standing next to my bed.

But immediately becoming concerned when it dawned on me... Mian is standing next to my bed in the middle of the night.

"Jake, I'm sorry to wake you. I know it's late." Mian whispered to me, setting his hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head, waving my hand to dismiss the apology that wasn't needed, "What else am I here for? Is everything alright." I asked him, concerned.

A lot of different thoughts ran through my mind as soon as I noticed it was Mian, he wouldn't just come wake me for no reason, certainly not in the middle of the night.

"It's Ness, she's finally reached her breaking point and... she's asked for you."

Well that'll wake you up.

My eyes widened slightly as I took in a sharp breath, I nodded my head at him, "Okay, give me one moment."

He nodded curtly back at me and stepped outside of my room to wait for me. I lifted the blanket off of myself and moved so my feet hit the floor beside my bed. My hands were clutching the edge of my bed as my head hung slightly.

I took a deep breath before pushing myself up, taking my newly braided hair from last night and pulling it into a bun, letting the two front pieces hang out. I walked out and nodded at Mian, letting him know I was ready.

I followed behind him from my house to theirs, I could hear my heart pounding in my chest. I'm in slight shock that she would even ask for me, seeing as she was so quick to run off after getting back home yesterday.

I felt a chill of nerves run up my spine, not because I didn't know what to do, if I knew Ness even just a little bit then I know all she wants is my presence.

I was nervous because it's been so long since we've even connected. I've thought about the day that she would just let me embrace her and comfort her, and now that day is here.

I walked up their steps, Mian pulled back the privacy curtain and stepping aside to let me in. The privacy curtain to Nessa's room was drawn to the right of me.

I turned around to face Mian, as he walked up to me. "Jake, this won't just take an hour or two... this will last up to twenty. Every emotion she's pushed back over the past three months will rise to the surface. You have to promise me you'll be here with her until the end." Mian said, looking me dead in the eye, his face serious as can be.

I nodded my head, "I promise."

"She'll get to a point where all she's gonna do is yell at you, you just have to let her. You can't leave-"

"Mian," I said, cutting him off, "I'm not going to leave her."

He looked away from me and towards Nessa's room, taking in a deep breath and nodding his head. "I trust you, Jake." He said before looking back at me.

We stood there one more moment, not saying anything. All I wanted to to do was to run in there and be there for her, but not until Mian told me to go in. I wanted to respect both him and her.

Mian took in one more breath and let it out, giving his head a single nod in the direction of Nessa's bedroom. I only nodded my head in response, walking towards the entrance.

___

It felt like years since Mian left to go get Jake. Mian continued to sit with me until I calmed down, the tears eventually vanishing. He asked me again if I still wanted him to go get Jake, I hesitated, but said yes.