28

"No," Jake responded sharply, moving around Mo'at to grab a pile of papers off his desk in the main bunker.

Mo'at sighed, "Jake."

But Jake just shook his head, "No, I'm not doing it. I'm not asking that of her."

"Just talk to her, you never know."

Jake threw the papers back down on his desk in frustration when he couldn't find what he was looking for, leaning against it with his hands.

"You've been together seven months-"

"I don't care," Jake cut her off, hanging his head low, "We're taking it as slow as she needs."

"Attacks are more frequent, the clan is anxious, we need an Olo'eyktan," Mo'at said, frustration clearly laced in her words.

"Jake," she hissed when Jake didn't respond.

Jake pushed himself off of his desk, walking towards the round table in the center before turning around to face Mo'at and leaning back against it, arms crossing over his chest.

"You're asking me, to ask Nessa, if she thinks she would be ready to get married in six months? Do you hear yourself?" Jake snapped, eyes zeroing in on her.

"You can be crowned Olo'eyktan as long as you plan to marry within six months. Seven months of dating is enough to know," Mo'at was colder today than she's been in awhile.

Human attacks and invasions were increasing by each day, the clan was constantly bombarding her with questions and worries. They needed an Olo'eyktan, a leader. She was sick of Jake putting it off, no matter his reasoning.

Jake just shook his head, looking away from Mo'at.

"Just... ask Li'Nessa," Mo'at insisted.

As if on cue, Nessa walked in through the sliding door. Jake sighed while closing his eyes and clenching his jaw. Nessa was too busy fast-walking and looking down at papers in her hands to notice the environment she just walked in to.

"Okay, here. I found them in..." Her eyes looked up, surveying the room.

Jake was tense, jaw clenched, arms crossed, and eyes now opening to look at her with a look that's practically warning her. Mo'at was standing adjacent to Jake with frustration radiating off of her skin.

Nessa let out a small "Um," shifting between her feet, "I can just drop these off and come back later," she said, walking slowly towards the round table and setting the papers beside Jake.

"No, stay."

"I'll find you later."

Jake's and Mo'ats voices overlapped one another, speaking at the same time. Jake snapped his head toward Mo'at and sent her a glare. Mo'at just stared back at Jake, brows raised as if she was waiting for him to ask her now. Jake shook his head at her while Nessa stood completely uncomfortable.

"Nessa, honey, Jake has something to speak with you about," Mo'at voiced, hoping to push Jake to say something.

"No I do not," Jake replied through gritted teeth.

Nessa awkwardly cleared her throat, "So? Am I staying or leaving."

"Staying."

"Leaving."

They spoke at the same time yet again. Mo'at may not have been Jake's actual mother but there was no way they weren't cut from the same cloth.

"Okay," Nessa said slowly, "Will someone just fill me in? I'm feeling... uncomfortable," she voiced honestly. Something she was trying to improve on.