26

Jake nodded his head up the steps leading to their home tree's entrance, "Why don't you guys head up. We'll be right behind you."

"Yes sir," Tamai mumbled, grabbing Sarai's hand and leading her up the steps, "I'll save you a drink!" he called before their bodies disappeared inside.

I felt Jake shift to face me, my grip tightening on his hand as I chewed at my bottom lip.

Jake's thumb brushed my bottom lip, gently pulling my lip out from beneath my teeth before I could draw blood, "Li'Nessa," his voice was low and soothing.

I drew in a slow breath, my eyes flicking up to his as his thumb moved slowly over my bottom lip.

Jake shook his head slowly, "We don't have to go, baby," he kept his voice low, "But you can do it," his hand squeezed mine even tighter, "I've got you."

I nodded my head in response, "I just..." I shut my eyes tightly, feeling Jake's hand move from my lip to the side of my face, "I can hear his voice inside my head. I'm afraid if I go in... I'll become the same girl I spent so long trying to heal."

I looked back up at Jake, his eyes looking into mine like he saw my entire soul. I felt exposed, but I didn't feel uncomfortable.

He didn't say anything, letting a small silence fall over us. Letting me speak when I was ready to continue.

My free hand came up to grip Jake's bicep, "I can do it. Just... hold my hand?" I felt like a child as soon as I said it.

Jake smiled down at me, "I wish I could do more," he replied, smirking.

My free hand came up to hit his chest, my eyes narrowing in at him. Jake chuckled at me, taking a step back and giving my hand another squeeze.

He raised his eyebrows at me, "Ready?"

I just nod my head in response, letting Jake lead the way up the stairs. I could feel the blood rushing to my ears, our footsteps sounding like pounding when it reached my ear drums.

I took in deep breaths, keeping my chest steady. Why were there so many stairs? Did we have this many stairs?

The nerves kept rising, ticking up my spine and hitting each vertebrae with a sting.

As we reached the top few steps, I stopped. My heals digging in and yanking back on Jake's arm. Jake turned around, two steps ahead of me.

He walked back down, the sound of him saying my name hitting like another pounding drum. He looked down at me with concern and that dumb half-tilt in his head.

"Beautiful things don't ask for attention..." I muttered. I was surprised I'd even said it.

Canan used to say it to me all the time. Whenever we'd walk into a room, or a feast, or a party like this.

"Remember, Li'Nessa. Beautiful things don't ask for attention." His brows raised, a look in his eyes that told me to 'act right.'

It was another way of him telling me to sit still and look pretty. Keep quiet. Fall in line. Play the part. Don't let people know how he really treats me.

Don't let them know the hand that holds mine does unspeakable things to me when we're alone.

I felt Jake step impossibly closer to me, blocking all view I had of the entrance. I looked up at him, he didn't need me to eleborate. He already knew exactly what I meant.

Whose words those were.

The back of Jake's pointer finger came to stroke my cheek gently, "Beautiful things don't ask for attention," he leaned down so his lips were beside my ear, "They demand it."