Shield - Part 3 - Harvey x Reader

Slowly, ever so slowly, Harvey reached out and took (Y/n)'s hand in his, her palm scarily cold. Her skin was ashen, and if the machines around her didn't indicate otherwise, he would think that he had already lost her. For a moment, he had thought about looking at her chart; but then he had realised that he could never make head nor tail of those damn things anyway. The detective only knowing that as long as the beeps kept beeping, there was a chance that he wouldn't lose her.

There was a sick feeling that lay heavy in the pit of his stomach. He could taste the bile in his throat. He felt useless, helpless, angrier than he had ever been in his life. There was part of him that wanted to go out and find the bastard that was responsible for this. The man that had hired the thug that had fired the gun. He wanted to find him and punish him. And the captain, Jim, could forget about him bringing whoever it was in, so that it could take forever for them even see the inside of a courtroom, if it got that far that is. Harvey seriously doubting that justice for (Y/n) would ever be served. So, justice would have to be found at his own hands. But the bigger part of him knew that Jim was right. That when (Y/n) came around, he should be there. That she wouldn't want to find out that he had gone and done something that he might be made to regret.

Carefully, Harvey picked up her hand and brought it to his lips. Normally, her skin was so warm, so bright. She was usually filled with life. Sometimes, he couldn't help but think that she was the only ray of sunshine in the otherwise dark city. The only ray of sunshine in his life. She always had a smile on her lips, a smile that seemed to work on even the most hardened criminals. A disarming kind of smile that had the strangest way of making any man tell her exactly what she wanted them too. Harvey having to admit that more than one confession had been got, once (Y/n) had had the chance to work her magic.

And he had to admit that that smile had most definitely worked on him too. The Irishman sure that he had lost his heart to her, from the first moment that the pair had been introduced. (Y/n) somehow able to see something in him that no one else did. Able to see under the old coat and hat, under his straggly hair and paling beard, to the man underneath. The man that was more than a jaded cop that ate poorly, that lived off coffee and drank to much.

He could still remember their first date. The Italian restaurant with the red and white checker tablecloths and candle holders that were created from used bottles of Chianti. He could recall how a meatball had rolled from his plate, across the table and onto (Y/n)'s lap. The pair looking at one another for a moment, before she had burst into laughter. Assuring him that it was quite alright, as he did his best to clean the spaghetti sauce from her clothes. His heart skipping a beat, as she took his hand in hers, and kissed it.

And then...........then there had been the first night that they had spent together. He had never expected it to happen; of course, he had been thinking about being with her for a long time, about seeing her naked form; about having her in his bed. But most of him thought that his hopes would never come to fruition. That they would never really be anything but good friends and colleagues, that enjoyed some time together outside of work. Yet, as they had sat on her sofa, the pair enjoying a drink as the fire in the heath had crackled happily, she had kissed him; not a simply peck on the cheek kind of kiss, no, a real kiss filled with passion and desire. The Irishman unable to stop himself from letting his mouth wander. An encouraging moan coming from deep inside her, as his lips had found her neck and shoulder. As his hands had quickly made their way under the hem of her dress so that he could find her breast. Harvey more than happy to help (Y/n) remove his clothes. The Irishman smiling, as he had watched her do the same. Her dress joining his shirt and pants, before Harvey took her up into his arms and carried her to her bedroom. The rest of the night something that he would never forget. Something that had been repeated many times since that first time. Harvey hoping that he would get a chance to hold her in his arms again. Would get a chance to tell her something that he should have told her from the moment he met her.

"(Y/n).............." Harvey began, as he brought her hand back up to his lips.

"I won't bother asking why you did what you did, sweetheart. I won't bother telling you that I wish you hadn't done it. But what I will do is tell you something that I know I should have told you a long time ago. I mean.........I know you must know, its just that I was always too stupid to actually come and say the words. I know that you probably can't hear me; but if I don't say it now, and something..........well.........something happens, I will never forgive myself. So, here goes.......... I love you, sweetheart. Even before that damn meatball rolled off my plate and into you lap, I've loved you. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I don't want to lose you. So, do me a favour and wake up, so that I can tell you all this again...........please." Harvey said, as reached up and brushed some of her hair away from her face. The Irishman kissing her on the forehead, before settling back in the chair, and just watching as she breathed.