Chapter 24

"Last night... she made me sleep on the sofa!" Everyone around them gasped aloud. Haseena stared at Amar with widened eyes. She was left tongue-tied for she did not expect him to reveal their little bedroom secret.

Whereas, Amar internally slapped himself for revealing this. He only narrowed his character in Haseena's eyes. Looking at Haseena it wasn't very difficult to depict what was going on in her mind.

First, you insisted on taking the couch yourself and now blamed it on her. That too in front of everyone. What else would she think of you if not an asshole! You are an asshole Amar! He cursed himself for being silly.

But now it was Haseena's turn to get scolded,

"Haseena?" Her mother prolonged her name and gave her a questioning stare. And Haseena could tell she was disappointed. But before she could say anything Amar's father jumbled in between.

"Mrs Mallik, don't say anything to her." And all looked at him in surprise, "My son is an idiot. He might not understand but they're newly married, moreover, they married each other because we wanted them to. Haseena might have not felt comfortable. And that's completely fine." Amar now felt more guilty for his misconduct.

"If she wasn't comfortable, then couldn't she sleep on the couch herself." Haseena's mum chided, "Why make your husband sleep on the couch?!" She scolded Haseena. And Haseena's face fell.

"Mrs Mallik, try to understand. It's all very new for her. And it might as well feel overwhelming sometimes." Amar's father said keeping a gentle hand on Haseena's head, "Moreover–"

"Moreover, she didn't make me sleep on the couch. I made her sleep on the bed." Amar cut his father to fix his misconduct. And everyone now stared at him, "Umm... I mean... She said she'll sleep on the sofa but then I argued with her and took the sofa myself." Amar hesitantly revealed the whole truth.

"Amar, you idiot!" Yogita chided him, "Why did you tell us that she made you sleep on the couch?!"

"I... I just thought... Why should I only get embarrassed? Even she should taste a little bit of that medicine..." Amar replied lowering his head.

"Amar, are you a school-going kid?!" Yogita exclaimed.

Whereas, their father talked to Haseena, "I know dear, it's going to be very difficult to put up with this idiot. But he's not bad at heart, he's just silly. And I won't say a little silly because he's the silliest in our family. We will try to put some brain in him. But you two try to not quarrel about small things, that won't be good for your relationship. And let him sleep on the couch, okay?" Haseena slightly smiled at his last comment. Then nodded.

...

After the function was wrapped up, Amar thought Haseena was going to rip him apart once everyone will be gone. Instead, Haseena remained silent. And Amar for the first time realized her silence was scarier than her anger.

Amar entered his room and saw Haseena silently taking off her earrings, standing in front of the dresser. And for no reason at all, he was reminded of the incidents of the previous night. Therefore, his face flushed at the recollection of the awkward moments they shared.

Amar inched a few steps toward Haseena and thought to apologize. But before he could reach her, Amar was called downstairs by his father.

Amar finally returned to his room after getting lectured for almost an hour. Amar realized how pissed off Haseena was when he saw her sleep on the couch. And immediately regretted his stupid mischief.

"Haseena..." He called for her in a gentle voice. But when she didn't respond he called again, "Haseena?" He went closer and realized she was already asleep.

Seeing her asleep he thought he could now take the bed. But then felt guilty for she was sleeping on the couch because he had played that silly blame game. Amar frantically paced a few times, thinking about what to do while furiously rubbing his temples. He looked at Haseena's sleeping figure and decided what to do next.

He approached close to her. Some loose strands of hair scattered over her face. Amar gently tucked the strands behind her ear. His fingertips grazed her skin. He would be lying if he said he didn't crave to touch more. His gaze once again fell on her pouty lips. He took a sharp breath.

She's goddamn your wife! Amar thought to himself appreciating how beautiful she was.

Who could have thought Amar will get so lucky having Haseena as his wife? Though, Amar didn't love her but who wouldn't fall for this beautiful of a woman? She looked breathtaking even in a casual T-shirt and pyjamas, even with no make-up at all.

Amar hesitated for a moment. Then bent down toward Haseena and carefully picked her up in his arms. He took a few heavy breaths having her so close to himself. He slowly started to move towards the bed. He had taken only a few steps when Haseena suddenly opened her eyes. Getting unnerved, Amar immediately left his hold and Haseena landed on the floor.

"Oww!!!" Haseena cried, "What were you trying to do?!" She scolded.

"So sorry...!" Amar exclaimed immediately kneeling to her, "Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!" He continued muttering apologies until Haseena scolded him again.

"Just shut up! And help me." Haseena tried to stand but winced in pain, "Ouch... No, no... I can't... I can't!" She bit her lower lip in pain.

Haseena got badly hurt in her back as she have fallen over her back.

"Sorry... I–" Amar didn't know what to say when Haseena didn't even spare him a glance. Rubbing a hand on her back she flinched her eyes shut and silently whimpered in pain.

Without thinking further Amar once again picked her up in his arms.

"Ah...ah...ah... What are you doing?!" Haseena cried.

Without being bothered, Amar very carefully laid her on the bed.

"What was the need of sleeping on the couch? You could just yell at me for I offended you!" Amar scolded Haseena, and Haseena narrowed her eyes at him.

"I wasn't sleeping on the couch because of you! I thought we could just sleep on the bed in turns." Amar's mouth flung open, "You slept on the couch last night. So, you were getting to sleep on the bed tonight!"

"You could just tell me about it."

"I left a note!" She pointed out at the bedstand beside where Amar stood. And Amar nervously rubbed the back of his head.

Haseena silently winced in pain when suddenly Amar handed her a pain reliever balm. She furiously grabbed it from his hand and then glared at his face.

"What?" Asked Amar not realizing what that look was for. Haseena shrugged her shoulders.

And Amar immediately turned away. For he understood she couldn't pull up her shirt in front of him, which she needed to do to apply the balm.

Haseena turned on her stomach and tried to apply some of the balm on the injured area. But stretching her hands would only cause more pain. She knew she couldn't do it herself. Still, she kept trying and winced for the pain was getting worse.

Amar realized she was having trouble applying the balm and hesitantly turned to her.

"Amar, turn away!" She yelled when she saw him turn to her and fixed her shirt.

"May I...?" Amar hesitated.

"No!" Haseena exclaimed, "No need for your help. I'll do it myself.

"Let me do it. Otherwise, it would hurt more..."

"I said, I'll do it!"

"Haseena..."

"No!"

"I'm sorry..."

"Amar, please!"

"Haseena, please..." He spoke gently looking really guilty for what he did.