25 Familiar Places 

"Where did Captain American learn how to steal a car?" Nat asked as Steve drove us to New Jersey.

    "Nazi Germany. And we're borrowing. Take your feet off the dash." Steve told Nat.

    "All right, I have a question for you, which you do not have to answer. I feel like, if you don't answer it through, you're kind of answering it, you know." Nat said.

    "What?" Steve asked.

    "Was that your first kiss since 1945?" Nat asked and I let out a laugh.

    "It was that bad?" I laughed.

    "I didn't say that." Nat corrected.

    "Well, it kind of sounds like that's what you're saying." Steve smiled.

    "No, I didn't. I just wondered how much practice you've had." Nat said.

   "Yes, phrasing it like that makes it sound much better." I smile in the back.

    "You don't need practice." Steve defends.

    "Everybody needs practice." Nat said.

    "It was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm 95, I'm not dead." Steve explained.

    "No but if I remember correctly you only have had one kiss in the 40's." I smile.

    "Nobody else special, though?" Nat asked.

    "Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience, that is not already married." Steve said referring to me even though we never thought about each other and that way.

    "Well, that's all right. You just make something up." Nat suggested.

    "What, like you?" Steve said.

    "I don't know. The truth is a matter of circumstance. It's not all things to all people, all the time. Neither am I." Nat explained.

   "That's a tough way to live." Steve said.

    "It's a good way not to die, though." Nat said.

    "You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone, when you don't know who that someone really is." Steve said.

    "Yeah. Who do you want me to be?" Nat asked.

    "How about a friend?" Steve asked.

    "Well, there's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers." Nat smiled.

I watched out the window looking at the changed but still familiar surroundings.

———

The sun was just disappeared behind the tree when we arrived at a gate. We stepped outside and walked towards the gate.

"This is it?" Steve asked.

"The file came from these coordinates." Nat said.

"So did I." Steve said.

————

"This camp is where I was trained." Steve said as we walked through the abandoned camp in the cold darkness.

"I worked here. I helped with the recruits, including Steve." I say.

"Change much?" Nat asked.

"A little." Steve said.

"This is a dead end. Zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off. What is it?" Nat asked Steve who was looking at a building.