70 Talk

"Well, I got nothin'." Bucky said as we walked inside. "No one's talkin' about Donya."

"Or they just avoid the topic." I say.

"Yeah, it's because Karli is the only one fighting for them." Sam says sitting down on the couch."And she's not wrong."

"What do you mean?" Bucky asked sitting down and I sat beside him.

"For five years, people have been welcomed into countries that kept them out using barbwire. There were houses and jobs. Folks were happy to have people around to help them rebuild. It wasn't just one community coming together, it was the entire world coming together. And then, boom. Just like that, it goes right back to the way it used to be. To them, at least Karli's doing somethin'." Sam explained.

"You really think her ends justify her means? Then, she's no different than him." Bucky pointed at Zemo. "Or anybody else we've fought."

"She's different. She's not motivated by the same things." Sam said.

"That little girl. What did she tell you?" I ask Zemo as he walks up.

"The funeral is this afternoon." Zemo put a tray of food down.

"You know the Dora's coming for you any minute. In fact, they're probably lurking outside right now. Keep taking." Bucky told him.

"Leaving you to turn on me once we get to Karli. Hmm. I prefer to keep my leverage." Zemo said.
Bucky got up calmly walking up to Zemo because grabbing the glass from his hands and throwing it across the room shattering the the floor.

"You wanna see what someone can do with leverage?" Bucky asked.

"Bucky, calm down." I walk up.

"Don't engage him. He's just gonna extort you and do that stupid head tilt thing." Sam said, Zemo though and corrected his head from the tilt. "Let me make a call." Sam walked off.

"You want some cherry blossom tea?" Zemo offered as Bucky was still standing there.

"No, you go ahead." Bucky walked away.

————

   "Karli Morgenthau is too dangerous for you guys to be pulling this shit." We heard the voices of John as we walked through the streets.

    "Ah! How'd you find us now?" Bucky wondered as we walked towards John and Lemar.

    "Come on, man. You really think three Avengers can walk around Latvia without drawing attention?" Lemar told us.

    "No more keeping us in the dark." John said. "You can start by telling us why you broke him out of prison."

"He did that himself, technically." Bucky answered.

"And I'm sorry, but I recall you telling us to stay the hell out of your way?" I reminded him.

"This better be an unbelievable explana..." John raised his voice.

"Hey, take it easy before it gets weird." Sam pushed him back.

"I know where Karli is." Zemo spoke and we started walking.

"Well, where?" John held Zemo back.

"All we know is, it's a memorial. So, we're gonna intercept her there." Sam said.

"That means civilians. High risk of casualties." Lemar told John as we walked past.

"All right, good, we'll move in fast. Take her by surprise." John decided.

"No, I wanna talk to her alone." Sam told him.

"I'm not losing her again." John said.

"Look, the person closest to her died, she's vulnerable. If there's any time to reason with her it's now." Sam explained.

"What? No. Wait, no!" John walked in front of us. "No! Stop. Hold on. Stop, okay? I think we're way past reasoning with her, unless you forgot that she blew up a building with people still in it."

"Sam, you walk in there cold, she could kill you." Lemar said.

"If I go in hot and the op goes wrong, more people will die." Sam told them.

"You'll let him do this?" John asked Bucky. "You're gonna let your partner walk into a room with a Super Soldier alone?"

"He's dealt with worse. And he's not my partner." Bucky told them.

"I used to counsel soldiers dealing with trauma, okay? This is right up my wheelhouse." Sam said.

"I know. And I know those Soldiers, which is why I know this is a bad idea." John told us.

"Wait, John." Lemar stopped him. "If he can talk her down, it might be worth a try."

"We'll deal with you later." John says to Zemo after a long pause.

"I'm sure it will all come to an agreeable conclusion. My associate is just up ahead." Zemo pointed at the little girl.

Zemo, Bucky, Sam and I pushed past John and Lemar and walked forward.

    "This is for your family." Zemo hands the girl a five hundred. "Can you show us the way?"

The girl waves her hand and leads us on.

    "What the hell?" John questions.

———

We follow the girl to a building she opens the door and points inside to a hall. We walk inside.

    "Karli's in there." Zemo tells us looking at the hall.

    "All right." Sam walks off.

John grabbed Zemo and cuffed him to a door

   "Hey. You got ten minutes." John tells Sam. "Then we're doing things my way."

    "Aggressive." Zemo commented. "But I get it."

—————

Bucky and I stood in the doorway. John walked around restless.

   "Uh-uh. No, no, no. This is a bad idea." John says.

   "It hasn't been ten minutes, John. Just sit tight." Bucky told him.

   "Don't do that. Don't patronize me." John spat.

    "He knows what he's doing." Bucky told him.

John stood still for a minute before walking straight up to us. "I'm goin' in."
Bucky pushed him back.

   "This is all really easy for you, isn't it?" John looked up at Bucky. "All that serum runnin' through your veins." Those words made my blood boil. "Barnes, your partner needs backup in there. Do you really want his blood on your hands?"

   "No, but I wouldn't care if I have your blood on mine." I tell John.