Nine.

The first sound I heard was the steady beep of the heart monitor. As my eyes opened, the reality hit me.

I was alive.

Angrily, I tried to sit up, but I couldn't move. Why had I lived? Fuck!

But it was then that my thoughts changed to memories of yesterday. The Angel! If I was alive, then that was no angel.

Thinking back, I remembered her eyes. Grey, with little swirls of blue in them. The Angel had had shoulder-length black hair. Oh no. I know who she was.

She was Meredith, that girl who I'd met in the park.

I'd been such a bad influence! I'd known her two days and already made her open up about her whole life and nearly her kill herself! Jesus, what if she wasn't okay?

A voice jolted me out of my guilt. "Hello. Can I have your name please?"

I looked up to see a doctor. "I'm Devin."

"Ah. And the girl?" he asked.

"She's Meredith. And is she okay?" I begged for the answer.

The doctor wrote something down on his clipboard and nodded. "She's okay. You were a lot worse than her. To be honest, when Meredith here wakes up, you'll be able to go home."

I sighed with relief.

"But, we're giving you two counselling." The doctor told me.

I frowned. I wasn't going to that, and I doubted Meredith would. Slowly, I shrugged.

"So, basically what we had to do was stitch up your wrists and get your blood level up." the doctor explained, without me asking.

"Whatever." I said, not in the mood to remember what had just happened. "Can you unhook me from this shit please?" I asked, gesturing towards the tubes attached to me.

"Yes." he said, tutting at my language. When he pulled them out, I cringed and clenched my fists. Just as he was finishing, we both heard a little voice.

"Hello?" a female voice squeaked. I spun round and bent down next to Meredith's bedside.

"You're awake." I smiled. "Hi."

"Devin!" she gasped. "We're alive!

"Yeah. I'm so sorry... Why did you do it?" I shook my head.

"Because... You were the only person who's ever been through what I have and cared." she looked guilty.

"Don't worry about it..." I tucked her hair behind her ear and turned to the doctor. "Unhook her please."

The doctor frowned and I held her hand as he pulled out the tubes. After signing a few papers, Meredith and I set off home. My apartment block was within walking distance, so when I got to the end of my road, I was confused to see her still behind me.

"Devin... Can I come to your house? It's fine if not... It's just I feel like we got off on the wrong start." Meredith blushed.

"Sure. Sure, why not?" I nodded. "I warn you, it's messy. And it may be covered in blood." I chuckled, trying desperately to keep Meredith happy.