cinq.

xxx.

chapter five.
cinq.

xxx.

Sam had thought about how she would die many times before. Not in a cynical, pessimistic or paranoid way, but she liked to have an idea of how things would go, no matter how brutal or easy they could be, and death was no different. She hadn't seen much death in her life; she attended her uncle's funeral when she was six, but she didn't remember much of it except the reactions of everyone else around her. It was so overwhelming, the crying, the drinking, the chatting and retelling of stories that she didn't know by people that she didn't really recognize. He was her father's brother, and they didn't get along that well, so she had only met him a handful of times before he died anyways, so she didn't have much of a reaction to his death, much less at his funeral.

     She could remember her mother being upset by her lack of sympathy and tears, on the way home, she had complained about it to her dad, who didn't seem like he minded. Sam found that odd, considering it was his brother anyways, but he wasn't upset with her so she let that go. She felt guilty for not being upset, at least at first, mostly because her mother was mad with her for it, but she also knew she couldn't force herself to have emotions.

     Now, though, her emotions weren't forced. She wasn't sure she even knew what they were, all Sam knew was that when she was shaken awake to the sounds of the plane rattling, shaking horrendously and the emergency alarms going off, she was filled with panic. She blinked rapidly, trying to clear her vision from having fallen asleep at some point on the flight, not sure how much time had even passed, and found Coach Martinez shaking her shoulders aggressively.

    " Owens! Owens, are you awake? " When she stared back at him, he took that as a response, and moved to unlock the compartment above her head. It released an oxygen mask, which Coach pulled down and lifted one of her hands to it as he tried to help her slip the straps over her head despite his trembling hands, " The plane is nosediving, you all need to put these masks on and buckle your seatbelts. "

    " Dad! Sit down and buckle yourself in! " Travis was sitting beside her, yelling in her ear but it was practically muted compared to the loud blaring and the frightened screams of the rest of the Yellowjackets. Sam tried to finish pulling the mask over her mouth and lock her seatbelt at the same time, but her eyes drifted past Coach Martinez and to the door of the plane. It was creaking, a quieter sound than the barrage and orchestra of panic that shook the plane, but she could still see the hinges growing weak.

     There was a crack in the side of the plane, drawing in a messy, zigzag pattern from the door up to the top. At first, she couldn't tell if her vision was blurring and making her see things, but the longer she stared, the more she realized that the crack was growing bigger. She was lucky she could think over Coach and Travis yelling back and forth at each other, but her voice wasn't so quick, and the door to the plane whipped open, and with the impact of it swinging out, the crack expanded and split the side of the plane in two.

    A swift burst of air sucked loose paper, cups, and trash out of the plane and out into the Canadian sky. With it, went Coach Martinez. In a blink, the father and son's arguing had ceased, replaced by a split second of guttural screams, and the man was gone in a flash of navy and yellow. Sam stared at the gaping hole in the plane in horror, digging her nails into her sleeves as the pressure threatened to rip more of them out of their seats and into the air. She didn't scream, or make any sound, Travis beside her was doing more than enough for both of them. She barely had time to recognize the feeling of tears on her face when the plane finally tore in two halves and rocketed to the ground.