dix-huit.

xxx.

chapter dix-huit.
eighteen.

xxx.

        The last person Alex wanted to talk to, after Misty, was Shauna. Not just because she was jealous of her and Jackie's closeness, or annoyed at her pushing her away, but because she was a goddamn liar. It didn't matter that it was Jackie she was lying to, it could've been anyone and Alex would've still thought she was a shitty person. This just happened to be the complete worst case scenario, and she wanted no part in any conversation with Shauna anymore.

" So, what do you— "

" Why are you trying to get so close to Jackie? " Shauna cut her off, and Alex raised a brow, crossing her arms with a perplexed expression. This prompted Shauna to continue, " You're defending her all the time, and it's like you're always trying to be off one on one with her. "

" Why do you care? "Alex questioned almost as soon as she finished talking, narrowing her eyes, " You've been pushing her away, is she supposed to have no one? "

            " I'm not pushing her away, I— " Shauna couldn't even finish her sentence honestly, pressing her lips together in contempt. The brunette turned her head away from Alex for a moment, then said, " I just don't want her to get used. "

             " Are you serious, Shipman? How exactly would I use Jackie? " She shot back, shifting her weight to her other leg, lowering her hands to sit on her hips, " Watch the next shit you say to me, Shauna, because I don't give a damn if you're pregnant, I'll still kick your ass. "

             Shauna's mouth was open like she was going to respond, but when Alex finished speaking, her doe eyes went even wider and she frantically looked around, though there was no one near them now that Taissa had gone back outside. She leaned towards her and dropped her voice to a whisper, " How do you know that? "

             Her first thought was that Taissa betrayed her trust and told Alex, maybe even Van, they were all relatively close, but Shauna couldn't imagine Taissa doing that. She also considered that Alex might've manipulated it out of Jackie, but she wasn't sure if that was probably either.

             " Jackie isn't stupid, she'll find out the truth about the father. " Alex ignored her question and nearly said Jeff's name out loud, but for Shauna's benefit—and maybe to appear a bit mysteriously knowledgeable— she left it vague. However, seeing the dumbfounded look on Shauna's face made it well worth the conversation.

               She couldn't form words, Alex was sure she had a hundred thoughts racing through her head, and Alex knowing about her secret relationship was definitely the worst case scenario, potentially worse than Jackie finding out. With that in mind, Alex smiled condescendingly at her, patting her shoulder. She turned on her heel and headed out of the cabin, rolling her eyes with a shit-eating grin on her face.

                                           xxx.

           Meanwhile, out by the fire pit, Taissa and Theo sat, cleaning the pots they'd used for breakfast that morning. Theo could feel Taissa keep stealing glances at her, and eventually she got tired of it and sat the pot down, looking over at her expectantly.