sept.

xxx.

chapter sept.
seven.

xxx.

The girls and the Martinez brothers brought back Coach's body on a makeshift stretcher, covering him with one of several banners they'd brought on the plane to hang for their game. They had created a sort of base: a fire crackled in the middle of a circle made up of all their bags, sweatshirts or blankets being used as seats on the gravelly dirt ground. While Natalie started the fire, a handful of the others had gone back into the plane to cover up the other bodies of the pilots, flight attendant, and their fellow teammates. Most of them sat in the darkness now, close to the fire as the only source of light other than the moon itself shining down through the leaves of the trees.

Theo, though, had been walking around the perimeter of the crash in an attempt to find anything they might've missed and to bring it back to the group. At least, that was what she was telling herself. Really, she just didn't want to sit in that circle in silence, letting every possible outcome of what could happen to them out there eat away at her, because there was no way she'd be able to sleep if that happened.

Surprisingly, she did actually come across a few bags. One looked to be mostly empty, its possessions likely tossed out during the crash by the strong pull of the air, so she didn't bother much with it. The other was a suitcase, similar to the one she had seen Lottie with earlier that day. She nudged it with her foot as she had done with the bag, debating internally if she should open it before she brought it back.

Again, could she get 'Things a Crazy Person Would Do' for a 1000?

Still, Theo crouched down and unzipped the luggage, not caring too much for the sound, and flipped it open. She didn't want to dig through it in case she found something too personal, but she did unzip all of the pockets. She wondered to herself how Lottie even had this much stuff to pack without leaving her house bare and empty for the week. She was quick to decide she was done searching through it, but just as she went to pull the top of the suitcase close again, something fell out of one of the pockets.

She hurriedly picked whatever it was up from the ground, finding an orange pill bottle. Theo stared at it for a moment, running her thumb over the label before she turned it around to read it. It was Loxapine, and it was prescribed for one Charlotte Matthews. The short haired girl's brows lowered as she tried to wrack her brain for what kind of illness that would treat. A twig crunched somewhere in the near distance and made her jump. She shoved the bottle into the pocket of her lettermen and closed the luggage as she stood back up. Theo looked down at it with her lips pressed together before she ultimately left it be.

Her fair complexion stuck out underneath her black bangs, making it easy for the others to watch her as she walked by the fire and went to sit in between Natalie and Misty. She glanced quickly at their faces, seeing mostly sullen eyes and deep frowns that were only warmed by the glowing oranges and yellows of the fire between them all. All of them seemed to be there, minus Lottie, Alex, Travis, Taissa, Mari, and Coach Scott. If she sat straight enough, Theo could see over Taissa's head that Alex was sitting near Coach Scott, presumably keeping watch over him. Travis was also nearby but keeping his distance, but she didn't see Lottie. She must've been looking for her other suitcase.

Beside Taissa, Sam watched as Theo's face contorted into a strange expression. Shame? They met eyes for a split second before the runner casted her gaze into the fire.