trente-neuf.

xxx.

chapter trente-neuf.
chapter thirty nine.

1996.

xxx.

" Look, " Travis started hesitantly as he handed his brother a cup, a desperate look on his face as he attempted to get him to talk again, " I get running away, especially that night, a lot of fucked up things happened. Whatever you saw out there, why you're not talking to us, to me, you don't have to say anything if you don't want to. But please..just tell me where you were, Javi. "

It was a none too quiet conversation, as all of the girls also seated in the living room or kitchen were very obviously listening in to see if Javi would finally give it; unbeknownst to the rest of them, Javi had already talked, just to Tara and not anyone else. The blonde sat near the fire, raising her head an inch as she met Javi's gaze, unsure if he was asking for her thoughts or not.

However, his eyes shifted over towards Lottie, who also looked at the boy, and that seemed to shut down any idea Javi had about speaking to Travis. He simply sipped from the cup and looked back to his brother, who let out a quiet sigh and rose to his feet.

" He'll be alright, he just needs time. " Natalie tried to assure him as Travis walked past her into the kitchen, but that was honestly the last thing she should've done.

" You don't think he got enough of that out there? " He snapped, his back towards her as he ran a hand through his hair.

" Travis..."

" Quit acting like such a fucking saint. " Tara's attention was drawn away from Javi to the two arguing in the kitchen across from everyone, a frown slowly crawling to her face as she stood up. Travis whirled around to look at Natalie, but there wasn't a scowl of a grimace on his face, rather a mix of disappointment and anger, " You planted the bloody clothes, you made me stop looking for him. "

" I didn't think that he was alive, it doesn't make any sense that he is! " Natalie insisted desperately, gesturing back towards the aforementioned boy.

" Well, maybe he wouldn't be so fucked up if I had found him sooner, so that's on you. " He shot back, not sparing her a longer glance than he needed to as he moved past Natalie, storming to the door.

Tara watched Lottie get up to follow Travis outside before she looked back over at Natalie, an sympathetic expression given to her before she, too, pulled the door open and walked out into the cold. She tugged her hood over her head as the flying snow attacked her almost instantly when she stepped off of the stairs, finding Travis sitting near the fire pit with Lottie beside him, appearing to be saying something to him that she couldn't hear over the wind.

As she got closer to them, Lottie stopped and looked up at her, but Tara's downturned eyes were focused on Travis as she said, " I just need a minute with him, Lot. "

Don't.

The dark haired girl watched her for a moment more before she nodded, straightening back up and heading to wait on the porch. Tara could feel Lottie still looking from the distance, but figured that was as good as she was going to get to being alone with Travis. She crouched down in-front of him, taking one of his hands in hers, squeezing lightly.