onze partie deux.

xxx.

chapter onze partie deux.
eleven part two.

xxx.

        Honestly, under any other circumstances, Alex would've thoroughly berated the entire group for the way they were scarfing down the deer meat like starved fucking cavemen that had never ate food before. Even if she had said it out loud, she didn't think any of them would bother taking a pause from licking the juices off their fingers or force themselves to stop inhaling the meat long enough to retort back.

        It was mostly quiet, aside from the occasional wolf howling and the crickets chirping which surrounded them. The fire crackled too, lighting up their faces dimly while a few of them had quiet conversations amongst themselves. Alex kept feeling eyes on her, and while she had expected it to be Theo, she wanted it to be Jackie, and then was sorely disappointed when she found that it was Misty, who was heading to the porch to bring back a few more logs for the fire.

       If looks could kill, she would stare at Misty all day long.

       ...Okay, maybe that was violent and aggressive, but..

        Yeah, no buts. It was true.

        " Hey, Dana, are you okay? You've barely eaten. " Jackie called from across the fire, watching the youngest Yellowjacket as she hugged her knees to her chest.

       Dana stared into the fire even after Jackie spoke, appearing as if she didn't even hear her for a while, but when Jackie's eyes darted to Tara, the sophomore's volunteer care taker, for some kind of response, the dark haired girl just shook her head. She looked sick, obviously, there wasn't really a way to not look like a train hit you when you had a branch sticking out of your gut. " I don't feel great, is all. My stomach's killing me. "

      " You're probably about to get your period, like half the team started today, and I can feel mine coming, " Jackie commented as lightheartedly as she could, when Van deadpanned a look at her.

      " She also took a branch to the stomach, Jackie. "

      " Oh, " Jackie's eyes squinting for a second in embarrassment as she averted them from Van to Dana, muttering a quiet, " right. Sorry. "

Dana offered her a sympathetic expression before letting her eyes fall back to the fire, forcing herself to tear off a tiny piece of the meat to eat it with a look of disdain. Beside her, Tara looked away from the younger girl, assuming she didn't want everyone to keep looking at her, and instead looked the other way, where Natalie and Mari were seated on one of the logs, but she quickly noticed that the bleach blonde was more interested in Travis and Javi's interaction across the fire. She didn't want to be nosy though and risk pissing Travis off if he caught her looking, so Tara just watched Natalie's reaction to it for a moment longer before her attention was drawn elsewhere.

Leaned forward with her arms across her knees, Alex picked the dirt out from under her nails, trying to be as close to the heat of the fire as possible. While most of them were so focused on shoving food down their throats, Alex could still feel the weird atmosphere between them all. There was tension, but of varying degrees, and while she couldn't tell who's was with who, it didn't make it feel any less awkward.