vingt-trois.

xxx.

chapter vingt-trois.
twenty three.

xxx.

             " What was that back there? With Lottie? Everyone seemed so..weird. " Tara remarked lamely as she walked in tow with Alex as they made their way to the cabin in the darkness, a single lantern lighting their path.

             " Lottie's been weird for months, seems like it's finally rubbing off on the others. " Alex answered, clenching her teeth a bit. They were close to the cabin, but, Alex being the person she was, had to stop before they could climb onto the porch. She turned to look at Tara, glancing her up and down before asking, " Don't take offense to this, but why did you come with me again? "

The question stopped Tara in her tracks just as she reached the first stair of the porch. The blonde met her gaze, a bit unsure of how to respond as she stammered, " I..I just wanted to make sure everything was okay. "

After a beat, and with a completely unconvinced, flat tone, Alex agreed, " Right. "

Without another word, the two of them went inside the cabin, their heads on a swivel as they looked for Jackie and Travis. It was a relatively easy task given the two of them were standing near the ladder of the attic, seemingly engaged in a conversation but neither Tara or Alex could decipher it before they saw the two girls approaching. Within a matter of seconds, it was like seeing Jackie's face made Alex completely forget that they were supposed to be there for Travis, not Jackie.

" Hey, what are you guys— "

" I need to talk to you, like now, Cap. " Alex cut Jackie off, offering her an apologetic look for a split second before she reached forward to take the girl's forearm. When Jackie didn't argue, Alex glanced back at Tara and Travis without a word, then open the pantry door to pull Jackie inside.

" What is going on, Alex? " Jackie questioned as soon as the door closed, crossing her arms and wearing an accusatory look on her face.

" Were you seriously going to fuck Travis of all people, Jackie? " Alex asked her back, her brows furrowed, and when the other girl looked away, she sighed, " Why? What's with the sudden interest? "

" Okay, he's not that bad, and it wasn't an 'interest', I just figured we're all gonna end up dead out here anyways and I didn't want to die a virgin. " Jackie admitted in annoyance, blowing a puff of air out. She held her aggravated stance for about a moment more, then loosened her arms and exhaled, " It wasn't going to go anywhere anyways, he wasn't biting. "

" I don't think he needs to add a third blonde into his mess right now. " Alex agreed with partial amusement as Jackie let out a dry laugh.

" You're not wrong. I guess..if we do make it out of here, I probably would've regretted that being my first time, huh? " Jackie concluded, shaking her head and dropping her arms to her sides before she buried her face in her hands and groaned, " Ugh, this is so embarrassing. "

" Yeah, it is. " The tan girl chimed, a grin on her face when Jackie's head popped up instantly to shoot her a look. She held her hands up in surrender, " I'm just saying, you're Jackie Taylor, don't settle for the one guy that you're stranded with in the middle of the woods. You can figure that out when we get home. "