cinquante-quatre.

xxx.

chapter cinquante-quatre.
chapter fifty four.

2021.

xxx.

          " I thought you stopped smoking in high school? " Misty questioned, her face contorted in disgust as she looked at the cigarette in between Alex's fingers.

         The dark haired woman purposefully waited until she inhaled from it to answer Misty, garnering some joy from the annoyance evident in her face as the smoke seeped out between her sarcastic smile, " I stopped because we got stuck in the woods for 18 months, I started again because shit like you stresses me out. "

        Alex had, surprisingly, waited until Misty returned from work that day, figuring she couldn't leave a woman tied up in her basement unattended, so once she was done with the conversation earlier, she migrated back upstairs to snoop around. Not that she was entirely interested in what weird knickknacks Misty Quigley had laying around, but..

Well, no, she was. She didn't really find anything too peculiar though, and the damn bird wouldn't stop squawking at while she dug through the photo albums on Misty's shelf. Honestly, it seemed too high up for Misty to be able to reach, at least without a step stool, and though she only got to flip through a few pages, she figured that it hadn't been added to or looked at in a while; the pictures were far and few, of her parents, her pet hamster, the Yellowjackets team photos, and stopped after about ten pages.

" Well, could you not do it in my house? I don't want to get smoke inhalation. " Misty complained, rolling her eyes with a huff, but Alex just ignored her.

" So, you let her go. Why? " Alex asked, and Misty didn't miss a beat, waving a hand around dismissively.

" She won't be a problem to us anymore. We got everything useful out of her already, I didn't need her here. Plus, she was stressing Caligula out. " The blonde answered nonchalantly, making Alex click her tongue as she twisted the cigarette between her fingers.

" Uh huh. " Alex was an accomplice to murder now, too, she didn't have to guess that, she knew it to be true. It wasn't like they hadn't been accomplices (unfortunately) in worse, but she wasn't willing to think about that and she trusted that Misty knew how to hide a body.

After a moment, however, Alex said, " She said Travis's bank account was drained. That true? "

" I'm not sure, but that's a pretty normal thing for people who commit suicide. " Misty acknowledged, pushing her glasses up her nose as her brows furrowed.

" Why would he do that, though? He had Tara, he had Anja, so where did the money go if not to them? " Alex pointed out, but there was another question on her mind. She shifted slightly, giving Misty a particular look, " You don't think he really killed himself, do you? It's Travis, Misty. "

The blonde's lips were pursed as if she were uncertain, which was incredibly uncharacteristic, but she was prevented from answering when her phone suddenly rang. Alex let out a mix of an obnoxious a groan and a laugh when she vaguely recognized the showtune that played as her ringtone, but it was Misty's turn to ignore her as she stepped away to take the call.