trente-cinq.

xxx.

chapter trente-cinq.
chapter thirty five

1996.

xxx.

" Alex, wait. " Theo called as her feet dragged through the snow as she caught up with the taller girl, honestly a little amazed she was able to do so. Theo was fast, but she wasn't about to break out into a sprint, and Alex was long, and quick as hell when she was pissed, though she managed to get within a few feet of her to say her name again, " Alex— "

" You need to let Lottie go before she gets you killed. " She cut Theo off before she could even really start, her breath frosting in front of her as she stopped walking. Alex looked up, preparing herself for this conversation, then turned around to look at Theo, " You can't trust her, Theo, you can't trust any of them. "

Theo stared back at her, the cold biting at her pale skin, turning her cheeks red rather quickly. Her brows lowered and she answered, " Lottie is the only person who understands what's happening to me. "

" What is happening to you, Theo? You won't tell me, the only person you do talk to about it is Lottie, so how am I supposed to understand? " She questioned, not trying to hide the growing aggravation in her voice as her forehead wrinkled, her gaze becoming hardened. " She's making you seem crazy, Theo. "

" Have you considered that maybe I just am crazy, Alex? " When Theo said it out loud, it sounded fucking stupid, but she didn't know what else to say. Lottie or not, Theo would've still seen Jackie and Laura Lee, she didn't have to touch Lottie for that, and it was honestly starting to get exhausting that Alex would blame everything on Lottie; yeah, a lot of weird shit happened around Lottie, but it was more the perception and reaction of the others that fuelled the tension in their group.

         Mari, Van, Misty, to name a few, were enabling Lottie at that point, and Theo knew that Alex was smart enough to know that, but she guessed she just needed someone to be able to focus her anger and frustrations on, but that made existing pretty difficult for the Prince girl, always feeling caught between two sharp boats waiting to crash into one another.

         Alex didn't say anything, she pressed her lips together and gave Theo a look before she turned her head away to exhale under her breath. She waited a moment, then insisted, " You're not crazy, Prince. "

         " You don't get it, Alex. " Theo sighed, hanging her head as she pressed her hands against her face briefly, making a decision she hoped she wouldn't regret, " I can't decide whether I'm crazy in a delusional way or crazy in a helpful way. "

         " The fuck does that mean? "

         " If I had took those visions with more..I don't know— understanding —then maybe Laura Lee and Jackie would still be alive. " Theo admitted guiltily, but Alex was still perplexed, snowflakes collecting on her face as her brows knitted together.

          " I thought your visions didn't make any sense? How could you have possibly known what would happen to either of them? " She asked, crossing her arms across her body, tucking her reddening hands under. As she thought longer, Alex added, " Does this have to do with you staying at the lake all the time? "