quarante-cinq.

xxx.

chapter quarante-cinq.
chapter forty five.

1996.

xxx.

          Downstairs, the atmosphere was stale, the air plagued with dread and misery with every breath they took. You could see it in their faces, their appearances the worst they've ever been, their eyes held exhaustion and fatigued, their faces starting to hollow from starvation. There were no casual conversations amongst them anymore, if no one had anything to say, they all would sit in silence, listening to the fire crackle.

         Alex sat against the wall near the door, digging a piece of the floorboard up as it splintered off from the rest of the wood, her head leaned back as she squinted from the bright rays of sunlight pouring in the window. Beside her, Taissa squatted down beside Akilah, speaking to her in a soft voice.

        However, Akilah's response was anything but as she shot Taissa a sharp glare and exclaimed, " You cannot touch him! He's mine! "

        As she went back to murmuring under her breath, Alex shifted a little in order to try and see over Taissa's shoulder. The Turner girl grimaced as she cautiously stated, " That thing..is dead, Akilah. "

       " What are you talking about? "

       Taissa plucked the creature out of Akilah's grasp, holding the mouse's dead carcass up between her fingers. It was as if it being in Taissa's possession made the reality appear for Akilah, who stared at the body with disbelief and denial.

        " Wha— " She exhaled shakily, holding her hand up towards the mouse, continuing to look at it as if she couldn't figure out how it had died and decomposed upon moving from her hand to Taissa's, " Taissa, I swear to God— "

       A quiet, confused sob left her as she shook her head, ultimately leaning back and covering her face with her hands, whispering, " What the fuck.."

       As Taissa slowly rose to her feet, moving towards the door so she could throat the mouse's body outside, Alex nudged her leg with her foot. She glanced down at her, locking eyes with the tan girl, but she said nothing as she closed the door again. Some of the others' stares lingered on Akilah, but eventually they went back to their own grim thoughts as their stomachs growled and ached.

       Alex watched Taissa head into the kitchen after that, with Van standing a little ways away from her. She couldn't hear their quiet conversation, but shortly after, Van came back over to the fireplace, bending down near the girl stirring the pot of boiling water.

      " Mari, I found this in Jackie's luggage. It's leather, could be protein, right? " The redhead suggested, and Mari took the belt after a moment, licking it as if to taste if it was real leather or not.

       Satisfied enough, or not having the energy to argue, she plopped it into the pot, pushing it into the water with the spoon as she muttered, " Belt soup. Yum. "

       " Sure, go ahead. " Gen called dryly as she mustered half of a glare at Shauna, who took the blanket that laid at her feet.

      " You're not using it and Lottie's cold. "

      " Oh, now you give a shit about Lottie? " Mel questioned, blonde brows pulled together.