Chapter 6: Decisions

Zuko's POV

Katara is probably so pissed off at me right now but honestly I couldn't care less, this decision is going to be the most important one in my life. I couldn't stop thinking about what my assassin said. "Sacrifice yourself and give up the throne, or else lose everyone you love. Die with honour or live to see your loved ones parshie. The choice is yours Fire Lord."  He was making me choose between my people and my family! "Not even the Avatar can stop us, we will make sure to kill off everyone you care about, including that Watertribe boy. Or you can give yourself up, the choice is yours. Choose wisely."  His words taunted me echoing in my ears over and over and over again. After they left I felt my lungs compressing tightly into my chest. My head was spinning and I could barely breathe so I ran. I ran and ran and ran until I reached the edge of the royal garden. I just started to blast fire from my fists, I felt so alone and scared. The worst part is that I can't tell anyone, I know that the second Uncle, Katara, Aang, or Sokka finds out they are going to do everything in their power to protect me. It may cost them their lives, I can't lose them. But at the same time I can't sacrifice my people, we just ended the 100 year war, who knows what these assassins will do. I couldn't take this anymore, my body was shaking so much from fear, from my fire bending, from the thought of death, and the thought of losing everyone I care about. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't breathe! I felt my body cave in and I couldn't take it anymore so I screamed. A scream from the bottom of my soul, a scream filled with pain and guilt. A scream that tried to take all my sorrow away, a scream that let go all of my sanity.

Sokka's POV

I ran over to Zuko and just collapsed onto him, rocking him back and forth while he screamed. I have never seen anyone in this state before and it was shattering my heart. What on earth happened?!  Zuko was clutching my arm so tightly while he cried. I had my arms wrapped around his entire body and I felt completely helpless, I hated it. "I'm right here Zuko...I'm right here." I said while I held him firmly as he sobbed. Zuko isn't the kind of person to show emotions so if he's in this state, whatever has happened must have been awful. "Zuko, please tell me what's wrong." I asked him, "I can't!" He cried holding onto me tighter, burying his face into my body and I could feel his hot tears rolling down. I felt sick to my stomach, I didn't know what to do so I decided to continue rocking him. After multiple minutes of this he seemed to calm down and wasn't violently sobbing so I decided to ask again, "Zuko why can't you tell me, please let me help you...I care about you... I want to help you. Please Zuko... please," He looked up to face me, tears were still pouring down from his golden eyes onto his very defined chin.  "I need you Zuko, I need you in my life and I want to help you. Please let me help you... please," I begged with tears streaming down my own face as well. "I can't lose you Sokka...I promise to do everything in my power to protect you, to keep you safe. I care about you so much and that is why I can't tell you. I can't let you or Katara, or Aang, or anyone else risk your life to save me... This is a decision I need to make and I cannot let the people I love get hurt during the process. I cannot let you die, you mean so much to me and I need you in my life, I need you to be alright. That is why I cannot tell you, I can't jeopardize that." I was so shocked by Zuko's answer and I felt many more tears come rolling down my face. Zuko needs me. But what is it that is so life threatening that by me knowing could kill me, will it kill Zuko?  "I don't know what to say Zuko... I-I can't let you do something that may hurt yourself in the process either. Whatever it is, I'm sure that Aang, Katara, Toph, and your Uncle can handle it. Those other benders don't stand a chance." I began to sob softly, I tried to stay strong for Zuko but I couldn't. It just broke me to see him in that state, to see him act this way in order to protect me. And the worst part is that I don't even know what the problem is. But deep down I know that it's horrendous and that I need to find out before Zuko reacts to this offer. I said that I am going to protect him and that's exactly what I am going to do.