Chapter 2: The Red Tile

Sokka's POV

It was early in the morning and I could feel Zuko waking up. Why does he always have to get up so damn early???!!! I kept my eyes closed and moved closer to him hoping that he would stay in bed for a bit longer because, I knew that once he gets up I need to also.  I snuggled over to Zuko making my grip around him tighter and I could feel him stop moving. He leaned in closer to me and I could hear him sigh. I then felt Zuko's fingers graze the top of my head pushing my hair out my face. When he stopped he just sat there for a full minute before quietly exiting the bed, taking his warmth with him. I really, really don't want to get up. The next thing I heard was a big thump on the ground followed by a small groan. I quickly sat up, opening my eyes and saw Zuko laying on the ground. "Zuko what happened?! Are you hurt?!" I asked worridly. "I've fine Sokka, sorry for waking you up. Just go back to sleep." Zuko then stood up and immediately crunched his stab wound. "Zuko, you need to rest. You can barely stand without being in pain." I looked into his eyes and silently begged him to come back. "I wish I could, but I need to get some work done. I have a lot to do and with being stabbed I'm already behind schedule. I need to get back on track." I sighed, Zuko works too hard. "Katara will be up soon, she's an early riser. Just get back into bed and wait for her to heal you. Once she does then you can get up and start working again. You'll feel better afterwards." We kept eye contact and debated back on fourth but eventually Zuko got back into bed with me. "What do you need to get done?" I asked him. "Just need to try and resolve small civil conflict. I then need to visit the prison and get an update about why the female fire bender tried to kill me. Afterwards I need to sign a few things about the Earth Colonies and get some work done, especially with Yu Dao." Zuko looked exhausted and I could tell that he was still in pain. "I can help you with the fire bender. I'm really good at integrating. I can also send out a letter to Toph to see if she can come here and to feel if the girl is lying." Zuko looked straight into my eyes and my heart started beating faster. He then nodded and looked back at the ceiling with a worried expression. "You need to relax a little, everything will be fine. When was the last time you did anything fun?" "I honestly don't really know, I mean I practice my bending a lot and I meditate." "You call meditating fun? You need a new hobby Zuko." "I have my dual swords, but Sokka I'm too busy to 'have fun.' You can't run a nation on fun," "You so can! My dad is always joking around. You should try it some time." Zuko looked at me with a small smirk. "There's a reason why the Southern Watertribe is being completely rebuilt by the North." I smacked Zuko hard in the arm. "What?! It's true!" He replied, rubbing his left arm. "My tribe isn't less valuable than any other nation! And my dad is a great leader!" I defensively shot back. "I know, I know. It's just that I have more things to worry about and I can't just 'have fun.' I run the most powerful nation in the world. Sorry for insulting you, I was just making a joke." I smiled at Zuko resting my hand on his shoulder. "I know, it's okay. But you honestly don't need to be so uptight all the time. Just try to relax a little, please." I told him. Zuko rolled his eyes. "Fine, because you asked so nicely," He mocked. I raised my hand at him and then started laughing. "Thank you, your highness." Zuko then raised his hand at me and smiled. Once my laughter chimed down I closed my eyes and could feel Zuko's arm resting against mine, side by side.

Zuko's POV

I fell asleep from the sounds of Sokka's snoring. Usually I find snoring very annoying, but this time it was actually quite comforting. Having Sokka lay beside me made me safer and more calm than usual, which is a nice change. Everything has just been so stressful. I usually wouldn't have been too alarmed about the whole assassination attempt, however this case was different. The man who stabbed me wasn't Fire Nation, he was an earth bender, that had to be significant right?  I moved closer to Sokka, watching his chest rise and fall. As much as I hated being seen as weak, it is nice to have someone looking out for you, having someone be so protective over you. "Thank you," I muttered to Sokka. He then pulled me into his arms taking me by surprise, I assumed that he was fast asleep.  I'm not really a people person and don't like to be touched too much, however I don't mind being touched by Sokka. His skin feels electric and his touch feels nice? I could feel Sokka's hand on my back and in my hair. I buried my face into his chest making me relax even more. Unfortunately I heard a maid knocking on my door ruining the moment. "Fire Lord, may I please enter?" She asked timidly. I moved away from Sokka and called out to her yes. "Master Katara is awake sir, can she come heal you now?" I nodded and the maid left to fetch Katara.