thirty

luke stood up to greet his friend, hugging him quickly and shaking his furry's hand.

"nice to see you, cal." luke mumbled as he took a seat in front of him.

"you, too." the brunet smiled.

he turned towards michael to introduce him, and saw his jaw slightly agape and a look of shock in his eyes.

"this is my furry, calum. his name is michael."

luke chose to ignore the awkward tension in the room as calum's furry slid into the chair in front of michael.

"hi, britt." michael waved.

she gave him a slight nod, eyes full of some unknown emotion.

"you two know each other?" luke asked.

"yeah. we have first period together at school." britt cleared her throat, head held undeniably high.

"oh, that's cool." luke glanced over at calum, who had put his sunglasses away and looked at michael with dark eyes.

"well, I haven't ordered drinks yet, so the next time the waitress comes around..."

"yeah, I gotcha."

the whole room was filled with unexpected tension. luke cleared his throat, glancing at britt's and calum's expressions back and forth.

it just... felt odd.

and awkward silence crept in before the waitress came back with her small notepad.

"any drinks? pastries?" she kindly asked.

"a tuxedo for me, please. and hot chocolate and chocolate croissant for this one." luke smiled, pointing to michael at the last half.

"danish pastry for me, as well as hot chocolate." britt purred.

"you got it, cutie." she said.

"just a black coffee or me, ma'm." he said sweetly. the waitress scribbled it down, spinning away on her toes and heading towards the kitchen.

luke tapped his fingers on the wooden table while trying to make any sort of conversation.

"so," luke smiled, "are you reading anything right now?"

calum took his eyes of michael briefly to look at luke, "I am, actually. it's about this young boy that betrays his partner, I think."

michael's eyes flicker up, but luke ignores it.

"sounds... interesting. what's it called?"

"something like 'unfaithful.' I don't really know." calum shrugs.

michael was silent, waiting for his hot chocolate as luke and calum finally started to talk with no awkward gaps of quiet in between.

luke chuckled. he was right. calum got his mind off of everything.

"so, anything exciting happen recently?" calum asked with a cheeky smile.

"mmm, nothing important." luke said, the waitress placing a cup of coffee in front of him and his furry, then calum and britt.

"yeah?"

luke nodded, "well, I might be going on a business trip soon. all the way in chicago." (they live in california, usa. i think i forgot to mention that oop.)

michael looked up, eyes wide.

"chicago? when?" calum shared the same expression.

"two weeks from now, I'm pretty sure."

"wow, congrats, man." calum cheesed, acting genuinely happy for his friend.

"thank you. it's just..." luke bit his black lip ring, a sort of nervous tick. "I'll, uh, I'll text you later about it, I dunno right now."

calum grunted, nodding his head.

they talked for another fifteen minutes, britt not taking one glance towards michael and michael doing the same.

calum sighed as he finished up his coffee and checked his watch.

"oh, luke, I gotta head out soon, mate." he stated.

"yeah? 's fine, I think we have to go soon, too." luke glanced at michael, who is sitting with his hands in his lap and staring at his fingers. his hot chocolate was barely touched and he had taken three bites of his croissant.

"alright. I'll see you two some other time, then." calum smiled.

"yeah, sure."

the brunet was the first to stand, quickly giving luke a hug.

"good bye, michael." he said, his voice stern.

"good bye, sir." michael's eyes were still on his lap.

*

"are you okay, kitten?" luke asked. the question had been burning through his mind all morning and in the car luke finally had the chance to ask his him.

"y-yes, sir, everything's fine." he mumbled, voice softer than usual.

luke's heart sank. he didn't know what was wrong but something definitely was and he didn't know how to squeeze the answer out of him.

"alright. if you say it is."

they were still parked, and luke stared intently at michael. he leaned over to kiss him, but his kitten flinched away.

"michael?" his eyes widened. was he scared of luke?

"s-sorry," the bright haired boy never looked so flustered in his life, quickly patting his hair down and muttering another couple 'sorry's to luke.

luke sighed, starting the car.

"michael... you can tell me anything." he pressed, wanting answers.

"I know, luke."

"I love you."

the words hit michael like a train.

"I love you, too, luke."

they pulled out of the parking lot and silently drove home.

-

ohp.

comment your twitter names! i wanna follow some of you ((:

you can guess mine but im not telling lmao

btw thANK YOU SOOSOSOSOSSOOOSO MUCH!!!

we hit 10k reads!

i didn't even think people would actually wanna read this but seeing that number totally lifted my mood! thank you thank you thank you!

btw you should read my new rant book (: self promo af