c h a p t e r 4

Chapter 4

The temperature isn't that much different from New York, but for some reason, it feels like Genesis is melting with every ray of sunlight that touches her skin. Gael spent most of his night in the "forbidden room" but when Genesis woke up at 3 AM and she went out to get some water, she found him sleeping on the couch.

He had a blanket pulled up all the way up to his nose. He seemed so harmless, she wasn't scared of him when he slept.

"When I say I want to leave at 11, I mean I want to get in the car at 11," Gael hisses, his knuckles banging against the door of her bedroom. "I'm almost ready," Genesis whines and she zips up one of the boots that she decided to wear. Gael was taking her into town today so she had to look at least presentable.

Gael groans and he walks to the kitchen. Ginny doesn't need that much time, she gathers her things and grabs her purse. "Fucking finally," Gael mutters under his breath when she walks out of the bathroom. The keys to his car dangle around his index finger and he walks to the door. "You said to be ready by 11, it's 11 now," Ginny replies, standing her ground.

She's wearing a white dress covered in baby blue flowers. She's wearing white cowboy boots, he didn't buy those for her so she must've taken those with her from home. Gael has knowledge of every item that she has in her wardrobe, he hated cowboy boots but he had to admit they fit with the dress.

The dress he did pick.

"You weren't ready 5 minutes ago," Gael answers, "It was 11 5 minutes ago." Ginny glares at him, despite knowing that it's the truth. He's right and she's being stubborn. "What car do you drive here?" She changes the topic to something she knows he enjoys: his possessions.

Gael looks at her, her eyes are filled with curiosity. "Does that matter?" He asks, "You'll see in-" he unlocks the car, the lights blink and the car releases a light sound to announce that the car is now unlocked. "Now." He says, gesturing towards the car. "It matters because you love what you have," Ginny says.

Gael looks down at her and he walks to the passenger's seat door, opening it so she can get in. Ginny stands in front of him, she rests her hand right next to his on the door and she looks up at him. "I wish you didn't think so low of me." She gets in the car.

She bats her eyelashes and she looks up at him. "Well? Are we going?" Her voice is innocent, Gael hates it. He absolutely despises this specific character trait of hers. He slams the door shut and walks around the car to get in on his side. "I'll take you here more often so I'm taking you around town." As innocent as her voice sounded before, that's how demanding his voice sounds right now.

Ginny nods.

During the drive, neither of them says a word. Genesis just stares out the window to enjoy the difference in scenery. "Welcome to Cabo San Lucas," Gael says, that same light in his eyes that he had on the plane here. Genesis glances at him and she smiles before looking outside again.

"So how did you meet Mattias?" She knows she's taking a risk by asking about his personal life but she just wants him to talk to her a little more so maybe she can get to know him better. Maybe he's open to getting to know her better too.

She notices his fingers clench around the wheel and she decides to drop the question, the warm sun shining through the window. "Johnathan thought taking boxing lessons was a better option than therapy," the guy suddenly says.

He doesn't call his dad 'dad', he calls the man by his name. Genesis hadn't noticed it until now, but considering how close Matt and him were, she assumes that Matt became a father figure to Gael.