Questions. Tons and Tons of Questions

Chapter 9: 

Caroline’s POV

After figuring out that Ally and Jake, our best friends, dated and loved each other, Nate and I decided to work with each other on Operation Get Ally and Jake Back Together. We both knew it was going to be hard, but we said we were ready. We were both in his shiny black 2012 Challenger driving to the local diner. Since he drove me to his house and I did not have a car, he had to give me a ride. When he showed me his car, I flipped; he had the car I have been wanting since I could drive! In our small town in Delaware you can drive at age 17, so I am just waiting for a car. 

I am somewhat scared to see Ally; I know she is going to flip. I can guarantee you from the moment I step into the diner; she is going to be all up in my face asking questions. In addition, I cannot wait to see her face when I ask her about Jake. She was just so torn up about it; she never told me his name. I can just see her face now; wide eyes, open mouth, pale, and definitely shocked. Is it sad that I am going to enjoy this? Hehe. 

“Hey Ally, are you sure you’re okay?” Nate asked, referring about last night.

“Yeah. I promise.” I said lying. 

I knew he could tell I was lying because he looked at me with a ‘Really’ look. 

“Fine. I’m kind of okay. Still in shock a little.” I said being completely honest.

“Well, if you need me to call me at any time, any day, just let me know. I will answer. Okay?” He said looking at me seriously.

“Thanks, Nate.” I said blushing a little.

What the heck is wrong with me? This isn’t the real Caroline. I would have never blushed at him saying that before. No. Nope. This cannot be happening.  But- But- It’s just so hard not to! He is actually really sweet. 

“Anytime, Sweetheart.” Nate said giving me a dazzling smile.

“But, hey! I don’t have your number.” I told him. 

“Here, give me your phone.” He said casually. 

I handed him my phone, and watched him take one hand off the wheel, and just use one hand. Memories came back into my mind, and I tried to push them down as I waited for Nate to give me back my phone. The longer he took, the more nervous I got. I was about to grab my phone back when Nate lazily flopped my phone into my lap. 

“There! Now you can call me and make sure I didn’t give you a fake number.” He said winking at me. 

“Why would you give me a fake number?” I asked, completely oblivious to what he was trying to say. 

“You know, because I’m just so hot and don’t want many girls wanting my number.” He said, using his signature smirk.