12) Deeper Meaning

Aris P.O.V

I woke up to a barely there sun. I reluctantly turned over and slowly got out of the bed. The sheets quietly rustled, and I stopped in case I had woken her. Thankfully, her eyes were still shut. She looked peaceful which didn't seem to happen often. There's no blaming her though. None of us are exactly having a grand time here.

Knowing she wouldn't think anything of it if I just left I quietly slipped out of the room. She needs some sleep anyway. To say last night was rough would be an understatement. I still don't know what exactly she was trying to say. I can't figure it out. I'm not sure if I even should. She'd leave eventually, and then what? I'd live my life losing another person I cared about. No thanks.

"Hey Aris,"Newt greeted as I joined them in the lobby.

"Morning,"I said, yawning.

"Where's Y/N?"He asked, handing me a can of something. It smelled funny but I tried not to let it put me off.

"She's sleeping so leave her be,"I demanded.

"Relax mate. I'm just wonderin' why she wasn't with you,"He replied, sounding offput by my tone.

"Because she's tired. I'm sure almost dying took a lot out of her."

"We're always almost dying."

"That's great Shawn. I'll make sure to leave you in a cave full of Cranks if the situation calls for it,"I said, rolling my eyes.

I know what they say about her shouldn't matter. I know it's awful to care for her so I won't. It sounds simple enough. She hates me so I should hate her.

Does she though? She did scream at me yesterday, but everything she told me when she was in pain seemed so genuine.

"How do any of you have the energy for this? Don't get me wrong. It's great. I just wouldn't be able to,"Frypan commented.

"No one has any energy. He's just defensive over his girlfriend."

"Definitely not my girlfriend,"I mumbled, eating some of whatever Newt gave me.

"Not yet. They're still building up that sweet suspense, drama, and sexual tension."

"Give him a break Fry. He looks like he's had a shuckin' awful night."

"Shucking you say?"

Tired of those comments I took my food and started walking around the place. Maybe I could find some stuff that could help us. I don't quite now with what yet. There was nothing I could truly be sure of anymore.

Finding a random room with the door wide open I walked in and flipped on the lights. They flickered before settling on a dim pale yellow.

There it was again. The color yellow. Everywhere I turned it was haunting me. I could never escape it like I could never escape her. Then, there was that fact that those stupid comments were things I'd heard in different ways about her. Now they were being made about another girl I already had unnecessary feelings of guilt about being around.

Forgetting why I was there in the first place I slumped on the bed. It was taking everything in me not to scream until I physically couldn't. Now that I was alone I wasn't so sure of my decision to leave. My mind was filled with those same dark thoughts. The knife was supposed to hit me. Why'd she have to block it? Why couldn't she have just run or done anything else? I sat there and watched her bleed like an idiot. She was in so much pain, and then she wasn't. Why couldn't she have let the plan play out the way it was supposed to?