27) A Pawn In The Game

The next day Thomas and I trudged slightly behind by the girls. It was still unfathomable how similar Newt and Sonya were. They had the same blonde hair, same brown eyes, and were even the same height. Her accent wasn't as obvious, but other than that it seemed pretty clear they were related. If only they had more time together.

Still I tried not to think about that as we kept walking. Our days were limited now, with only three left. After that I don't actually know what will happen. There's no real way of telling how WICKED will react to me or what happens if I do stay. All I can do is keep going.

"Y/N, do you think the others are still looking for us?"Thomas muttered.

"Maybe. They're probably going to assume we have to get to the Safe Zone though,"I shrugged, acting as nonchalant as possible.

"What if they're not though?"

"They're going to be fine Thomas. We all will,"I repeated.

"I don't know. I think I'm going to go somewhere,"He whispered. This must be the part where he runs off from the group. This was one of the parts that made me want to throw the book across the room.

"Nothing I say is going to convince you to stay, is there?"I asked, despite already knowing the answer.

"No. You can stay though."

I thought about this for a minute. I could stay with these girls and not see him get betrayed or I could go with him. Honestly, this should be the easiest choice anyone has ever had to make.

"Just wait up. I guess I'm coming with you,"I sighed. This was an incredibly stupid thing to do so I don't know why I'm actually going. Then again I've been doing a lot of unimaginable things lately. What's one more?

ᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗᕙᕗ

The entire way Thomas hadn't said a word, but neither had I. All I could think about was the deadline. I don't even know how long we've been walking, but each step was another second closer.

"Stop,"He instructed, looking around. Suddenly, Teresa stepped out of seemingly nowhere.

"You two are coming with us."

"Us?"Thomas questioned.

Less than a second later I felt something sharp in my back and someone's arm around my neck. Before Thomas could say anything Teresa pulled out a dagger as she stood next to him and pointed it at his chest.

"If you run we stab your little friend,"She threatened, gesturing to me. That's when the gravity of the entire situation kicked in. Suddenly, I knew exactly who had their hand around me and something sharp and deadly pointed at me.

"It looks like you were right Aris. She did follow him."

"I told you I knew what I was doing, didn't I?"

Any confusion was cleared up. I knew exactly what was happening. I was nothing more than a pawn in this game.

"Teresa, what is-"
"Shut up. Not a word,"She snapped, before Thomas could say anything else. She calmly held him in place and placed a dagger to his neck.

"And you, if you try to run you'll find yourself at the end of this,"He threatened.

"Because I have so many places to run,"I said, filling my voice sarcasm.