Chapter One - Too many questions can lead to mistakes.

Mid-January

News Channel

"We aren't even one full month into the new year, and we are already off to the races here in Montana. Specifically, the governor's race, which we are seeing something we've never seen before, right Jake?"

"That's right, Margaret...it's looking like we will have the first ever father versus son here in the primary this March. John Dutton, owner of the famous Yellowstone Ranch out in western Montana, will be running against...that's right, against his own son, Jamie Dutton. Now, Jamie is no visitor to politics, having served in the Office of the Attorney General now for the past five years."

"Neither is Dutton senior though too. John Dutton was Livestock Commissioner for almost ten years before he retired last year and his son, Kayce Dutton, took over for him in that office."

"Looks like the Dutton family is taking over Montana politics..."

Oakley turned the TV off in the living room. She heard Kayce's boots step out of the bedroom and walk over to where she was sitting on the couch.

Kayce was finishing putting his badge on his belt as he looked down at Oakley.

"The Duttons are taking over Montana politics," Oakley said softly, looking up at Kayce.

Kayce leaned down and cupped both of Oakley's cheeks, turning her face up to kiss her deeply. Oakley sighed into Kayce, her hands holding his wrists.

"I'll see you tonight?" Kayce asked.

"Be careful," Oakley said as Kayce let her go and walked over to the front door.

He put on his coat as Oakley stood up and followed him.

"Don't drive your truck until I can get you a new tire," Kayce said, fixing his collar. "I'll pick up a new one this afternoon and change it out when I get back."

"Thank you," Oakley smiled as Kayce opened the door.

He was about to step out when she reached out and pulled him back to her by the side of his jacket. Oakley stood on her toes and kissed Kayce again.

"I love you," Oakley whispered to him, even though it was just the two of them in the cabin.

"I love you too, baby," Kayce said.

Oakley walked back inside and got ready for the day. She changed into some jeans and a flannel top before brushing her hair out. Looking into the bathroom mirror she thought her eyes looked a little tired staring back at her. She hadn't slept well last night and kept waking up and tossing around.

She walked back out into the bedroom and paused at the dresser. There on a small blue plate was her engagement ring.

At first, Oakey smiled. She grabbed it and pulled it onto her finger, looking down at her hand. But then, almost like clockwork, her smile faded. The million questions everyone had asked Oakley since learning of the engagement, came flooding in.

Oakley shook her head, moving her hand down to her side and walking out of the bedroom.

Lunchtime

Oakley could feel Beth Dutton's eyes on her as she shoveled bites of chocolate cake into her mouth. They were at a diner for lunch. Oakley stupidly agreed to brave the icy roads into town when Beth literally pulled her out of the house.

"I need to figure out what to get Kayce for his birthday," Oakley mumbled with cake in her mouth.

Beth sipped on her hot chocolate, staring at the younger woman.