Chapter Forty-Six - One Pink & One Blue

Oakley was officially miserable. She was three weeks out from her due date and felt like some prize cattle ready for the slaughterhouse. Her ankles were swollen so badly she could only waddle. Her chest had severe heartburn, and the only position she was comfortable in was on an old recliner of John's Kayce had brought up to the house a few weeks ago.

Oakley was currently sitting on the chair, leaning to the right, and had her hand under her belly. She was trying to relieve some of the weight off her lower back which was killing her.

Kayce had been able to hold her stomach from behind and relive Oakley sometimes in the evenings. It was about the only thing he'd been able to do to help her. With how uncomfortable Oakley had felt for the past few weeks, physical touch hadn't been high on her list. Sleeping in the rocker also wasn't something Kacye liked her doing. But it was sometimes the only way she'd fall asleep.

Breathing hard through her nose, Oakley counted to ten before she leaned back in the chair. As she did, a sharp pain shot through her left side, just under her stomach.

She reached and pressed into her side, gasping slightly at the sudden pain. Oakley was still as she sat up slowly, trying to figure out just what that pain was. Her hand pressing into her side moved slowly around her bump, but no more pain came.

Nodding her head, Oakley tried to lean back, but as soon as her back touched the chair, the pain shot through her again.

"Ah," Oakley cried, holding her side again and rocking the chair up so both her feet touched the ground.

She breathed in deep through her nose and out through her mouth. It was like major pressure was pressing down between her legs. Oakley's hands rested on her bump as she tried to calm her nerves which were skyrocketing. Looking to her left, she saw her phone.

Oakley grabbed it, dialing Kayce's number and putting it to her ear. She rubbed her stomach as she shut her eyes.

"Hey baby," Kayce's voice came through smoothly.

"H-Hey...Kayce?" Oakley breathed.

"You okay?" Kayce asked, hearing the breathlessness in Oakley's voice.

"I don't know," Oakley shook her head, opening her eyes.

"What's wrong?" Kayce asked.

"I'm having this pain," Oakley told him. "I don't know what it is thou-oh!"

There it went again, shooting through her side and down her leg this time. Oakley grip on her phone tightened as she shut her eyes, waiting for it to pass.

"Oaks?" Kayce asked. "Oakley...what's going on?"

"I don't know, Kayce," Oakley breathed.

"Do you need to call Dr. Robbins?" Kayce's voice was slightly raised.

"I-I think..." Oakey took a deep breath. "I think I need to go see Dr. Robbins."

"You think you're having the babies?" Kayce asked.

"I don't fucking know, Kayce!" Oakley cried as another wave of pain came over her. "Can you come get me?"

"That'd be over an hour, baby," Kayce said, and Oakley could hear a lot of movement on his end. "I'm calling Rip, he'll come get you and I'll meet you both at the hospital, okay?"

"Rip?" Oakley breathed. "O-Okay."

"Okay, keep breathing, Oakley," Kayce said. "I'll call you here in a minute after I talk to Rip."

Kayce hung up and Oakey kept the phone to her ear, unable to move in fear of feeling that pain again.

"Not yet little ones..." Oakley whispered out.