Chapter Forty-Seven - Never dull for a Dutton.

One Week Later – January 19th

It was close to three in the morning as Oakley sat in the twin's nursery upstairs. She had just fed Lee and was currently watching Evelyn have her fill. Oakley sat in the chair John had gifted them a month ago when they were finishing the room. She also had a semi-circle pillow underneath Evelyn, so Oakley wasn't holding them all the time.

Oakley was tired, but so would anyone be at three in the morning. The twins ate about every three hours or so and right now, Oakey was feeling like a cow again, but for different reasons. Her eyes looked back down at Evelyn.

"Your daddy's birthday is in three days," Oakley whispered. "And I haven't done a damn thing for him."

Lee cooed from his bed, making Oakey glance over at him. He gurgled some and then quieted down again.

"Your brother is one hundred percent obsessed with your daddy," Oakley smiled as Evelyn looked like she was finishing up. "But you're my girl, ain't you?"

Oakley cleaned up Evelyn and fixed her own shirt before leaning back and patting Evelyn firmly on her back. A small little burp escaped her lips, letting Oakley turn Evelyn back around to face her.

"We're outnumbered, Evie..." Oakey stood up from the chair and walked over to the beds. "We've gotta stick together now because these boys will run us over if we give them an inch."

Oakley laid Evelyn back into her crib and smiled down at her. After picking up everything, Oakley lowered the lights to shut off and then made her way back down the hall to her bedroom. She pushed open the door, leaving it cracked slightly as she made her way to bed.

Kayce was lying on his stomach, his arms crossed under his pillow as he slept. Oakley crawled into the bed, shifting the sheets around her before laying back against her pillow with a sigh. The thought of having to wake up again here in a few hours already made Oakley even more tired than she was.

Kayce moved next to her, his arm sliding across and around to the other side of Oakley. He pulled her closer to him, Oakley smiling despite her exhaustion.

"Wake me next time," Kayce mumbled.

"You can't do anything right now," Oakley turned her head to look at Kayce. "It's all on me right now."

"I can sit with you," Kayce said.

"You have work," Oakley reached up and pushed his hair back, her palm resting against his cheek. "Tomorrow's a big day too."

"M'not going tomorrow," Kayce grunted.

Oakley opened her eyes.

"Kayce," Oakley sighed. "You need to be there. I can't because of the twins...but you need to be there with your father."

"Beth will be there," Kayce finally opened his eyes. "His favorite will be next to him so it's fine."

"Baby...I think we both know that while Beth has moved mountains for your father, his favorite kid is you," Oakley gave Kayce a small smile. "And you need to be standing next to him when he takes his oath."

"I ain't leaving you," Kayce argued.

"There's thirty people on this ranch," Oakley said. "We will all be just fine here."

"Oakley," Kayce narrowed his eyes.

"Please?" Oakey tried a different route. "For me?"

"Baby...I just don't want something to happen," Kayce wrapped his arm around Oakley tighter.

"We're fine," Oakley smiled, pressing a kiss to Kayce's jaw. "And then you can come home to all of us and then we can be done with the theatrics of your father running."