11. Jeans

Sawyer

After all of the things that felt like they were going wrong in life or just going a little bit off the direct path, going out with my best friend was exactly what I needed. I felt like I didn't have direction right now and it was starting to drive me a little insane. My mother's health was questionable, I had absolutely no idea what to do with the thoughts I was having about Avery, and Callum was extremely busy getting last minute things done for the wedding. Of course, I'd never blame him for that, especially considering his wedding was only a couple days away, but it was nice to just be able to go out with just the two of us for a couple of hours.

Callum didn't care what we did for his makeshift bachelor party, he just wanted to get drunk. Seeing as I was his only groomsman, it was pretty easy to 'plan' the night for the two of us. We'd basically been at the bar the entire time and I was buying him drink after drink. Dani was probably going to be mad at me about it later, but it was his party and he could throw up later if he wanted to. I wasn't going to stop him.

"How weird is it that you're about to be married?" I asked him right as the bartender handed us both another drink. I'd honestly lost count of how many both of us had combined.

Callum took a sip of his drink before laughing at my comment. "Pretty wild, right? But damn, she's so great man. She's literally the nicest person I've ever met but she keeps me in my place. And she gets along with everyone we are around and she's so damn hot." He rambled on about Dani for a couple of minutes, going on about all of the things he loved about her.

I was happy for him. It was nice to see him find someone that made him that happy, Dani was good for him. She'd really calmed him down without changing who he was as a person. If I was being honest, I was a bit jealous of their relationship. Of course, there was no one to blame for my lack of relationships but myself. I'd never been a huge relationship person anyway, but in recent years it was pretty non-existent. I was just busy and didn't feel like I had time for one. Now with Avery showing back up, my thoughts were all sorts of confused.

"What's on your mind?" Callum asked.

I hadn't even realized I had zoned out a bit and I really must have if he'd actually noticed.

"Oh nothing, I'm good." I lied before taking a sip from my plastic cup.

Callum shoved my shoulder with a laugh. "Come on man, I know you better than that. What's up?"

It's not like I could tell him that the main thing going on in my head right now was that I made out with his sister and I wanted to do a lot more than that. He'd punch me right in the jaw. "Ehh, my minds all fucked up right now. I'll be fine." I said with a chuckle.

"Cut the shit, dude. What's going on? Are you good? Seriously?" I knew he wasn't going to take my bullshit; he never did. That's the one thing that Callum did that never changed, no matter what kind of stupid arguments we would get into, he was always without a doubt a good friend. He was almost too caring.

"Why do you have to be so fucking nice, dude?" I joked.

"It's just everything with my mom, stressing me out I guess. I'm all in my head about something and I'm just trying to navigate it without fucking everything up." I tried to be honest, without letting him in completely. I was never one for talking about my feelings anyway, so it's not like he wasn't used to these bland answers.

"Because you're my friend, that's why." He answered the first part of my question before continuing. "I know that everything with your mom has been hard and I do hope that everything is okay. But whatever else you've got going on up there, stop telling yourself that you're going to fuck something up. Get out of your own head and just let whatever is supposed to happen, happen."