Chapter 11

Laurel was currently in entrance hall of the Queen Mansion, helping set up for Oliver's welcome home party, since unlike before, she knew him well enough to know that he wouldn't want a big event for his homecoming, since the last time, it had just been a cover for one of his Hood operations.

Currently at the mansion helping her set up were Felicity, John, Tommy, Rene, Thea and Roy.

"So Rene, remind me how you know Oliver again?" Tommy asked, since this party was reserved for family close friends.

"Oliver and I served together at Fort Santos before we were both deployed to our respective branches, him to Iraq and me to an aircraft carrier." Rene said.

"Right." Tommy said, though he seemed a bit out of sorts about the topic.

"What's up with him?" Rene asked, since he knew that Tommy was Oliver's best friend and was regarded as one of his greatest failures.

"Let's just say that Tommy's dad wasn't exactly thrilled that Tommy didn't follow Oliver into the military like he'd hoped." Thea said.

"Why would he want his son to join the military?" Rene asked.

"I think he was hoping that it might straighten me out." Tommy said, joining back into the conversation.

"Well I mean, it did do wonders for Ollie." Laurel said, remembering how Oliver had come back from the military a changed man and definitely a better man.

"Well clearly you didn't need the army, since you seem alright now." Rene said.

"Yeah, thanks." Tommy said, not wanting to go into what he'd been through to be able to leave his playboy ways in the past.

"Anyways Laurel, are you planning on picking things up with Ollie where you left off?" Thea asked, since she was aware of Felicity's current relationship and she hoped that her brother would not try to rekindle that old flame, since while she'd always been supportive of Oliver and Felicity's relationship, she couldn't deny that it just didn't have the same spark to it that Oliver and Laurel had had.

"That really depends on him, since I never really got over him after the Gambit, but I'm sure he had more important things on his mind while he was on the island than thinking about me." Laurel said, even though both she and Thea knew that was a load of bull to both keep Tommy off their trail, but also to spare Felicity's feelings, since while Felicity had given Laurel her blessing to resume to relationship with Oliver, that didn't mean it had to be rubbed in her face.

"I don't know. The entire time we were deployed, he kept your picture with him. Said you were the reason he'd enlisted in the first place was to prove that he was good enough for you to your dad and more importantly, he wanted to be the man that you always believed he could be. The man who deserved you." John said with a smile, since he couldn't deny that while he'd supported Oliver and Felicity for years, that didn't mean that he couldn't recognize the love between Oliver and Laurel.

"I'm not sure if it's the same thing, since Oliver was alone on the island while he had you and an entire platoon watching his back." Laurel said.

"Some things never change." Felicity said with a smile, since if Oliver did not kiss her sister by the end of the party, she was going to lock them in a room together. Especially since she knew that Oliver had held on to Laurel's picture the entire time he was gone.

"I'm surprised Dawn didn't come." Tommy said of Felicity's girlfriend.

"She doesn't know Oliver and thought it might be awkward." Felicity said, though it was more like she thought it would be awkward for her to have her girlfriend around her former husband.

"Yeah, that's why." Thea said as those who were in the know to chuckle.

"How's Dawn's arm healing up from her fall?" Laurel asked, referring to the cover story they'd come up with for Dawn's arm injury.

"She should be back to normal in a few days. It's just a dislocated shoulder." Felicity said.

"That's good." Thea said as Raisa approached.

"Ms. Moira and Mr. Oliver is approaching." Raisa said.

"Is the cake and meal ready?" Thea asked.

"Yes." Raisa said as they put the finishing touches on the party.