❧ 38 ☙ (🔞)

⚠ TRIGGER WARNING ⚠
This chapter might contain graphic descriptions of rape, abuse, suicide, and violence. Reader discretion is advised.

❧❧❧❧❧❧

Sumaboy ang malamig na hangin sa 'king mukha kasabay ng tila matagumpay na huni ng mga nagkakaluskusang dahon ng mga puno. Umigting ang aking panga habang pinagmamasdan ang halos 'di maipintang mga ekspresyon sa mukha nilang lima.

"Anong tinutukoy mo na naman, Insan?" magaspang na asik ni Caloy mula sa kanyang kinasasalampakan.

Kumuyom ang aking kamao bago sila isa-isang sinamaan ng tingin.

"Noong una, akala ko nababaliw lang ako," mapangahas kong sambit. "Akala ko nawawala lang talaga ako sa ulirat tuwing maririnig ko ang mga punong bumubulong sa 'kin. But I was wrong."

"A-anong ibig mong sabihin, Vian," ani Kristal, mga luha'y nanunuyo na sa gilid ng kanyang mga mata.

I scoffed, almost arrogantly. "Now I know. All those hallucinations... They were all real. And all that the trees kept whispering now made sense," I clinched, eyes now staring straight into Caloy's.

My mind went back to Kristal's house, to that group picture hung on their walls—the one that was seemingly folded on one side. The wind resonated with me, doing its work to paint the images of a story the trees were yearning to tell.

"You were all friends with him—with Euthymios. Kristal might be the closest, but you all knew him all along," mariin kong sambit. "Pero kahit na kay Kristal siya pinaka-close, mas nabihag mo naman siya, Caloy."

🙜 🙜 🙜 🙜 🙜 🙜

"Mahal kita, Caloy."

Under the light of the silvery moon, Caloy and Euthymios sealed their love with a kiss. It grew deeper, even more meaningful, as the twinkling stars witnessed how they craved for each other.

"C'mon," said Euthymios as he pulled away from the kiss. "May ipapakita ako sa 'yo."

They both ran like two peas in a pod, finding comfort under the shade of the leaves. As they walked further and further into the woods, a hut appeared in front of Caloy's eyes.

With their hands clasped tight, Euthymios watched Caloy marvel at the simple shack—as if it looked like a castle to him.

"P-pa'no mo natagpuan 'to, Mios?" manghang usisa ni Caloy.

Euthymios giggled. "Kay Lolo talaga 'tong kubo. Pagkatapos niyang mamayapa ay sa 'kin na niya 'to ipinamana. I just cleaned it up. I just thought that it would be nice if this would be our own secret spot."

"Taragis ka, Mios!" Hindi mailatag ang tuwa ni Caloy nang mahigpit niyang yakapin ang nobyo. "Mahal na mahal kita!"

Their laughter mingled in the air as they pulled themselves in another kiss. Just then, one thing led to another. The next minute they knew, the both of them are already lying on top of each other on the bed.

"Sandali la'ang, Mios," hinga ni Caloy nang tumigil siya sa pagsibasib sa katawan ni Euthymios. "May ibibigay muna ako."

Caloy reached out to his pockets and pulled a string out of it. Euthymios watched him closely, his heart pounding with every inch of love for my cousin.

"Charan!"

In his hands, he revealed two handmade necklaces whose pendants differ from one another. One was designed as a lock while the other was designed as a key. Although different, both pendants had a mahogany tree engraved at the back.